Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockiburns

Saving Gardenias

RockiBurns
11 years ago

Hello,
I am trying to save 2 gardenias my grandmother seriously neglected. They likely came from a bigbox store and appear to be 2 gardenias planted together, so I guess that makes it 4 :-). It looks like after she bought them they were moved from a very small pot to a very large plastic pot. The leaves were completely yellow and the drainage holes in the pots were plugged with feeder roots. There does not seem to be signs of root rot. I pruned the canopy to 1/2, and there have been some signs of improvement, leave getting a bit more green, new growth. I think the amount of feeder roots the plants needed to produce to get to water in the big pots have cut down on root airation. Today I am cutting back the root balls and separating out the 2 entwined plants and moving them to pots of a better size. I'm also worried the soil did not have the proper pH, I have not tested. Do you guys think I'm gonna kill these plants, or am I moving in the right direction? Any advice would be great. Also I live in zone 7b with a very high humidity and I have them placed so the get part sun throughout the day.
Thanks

Comments (2)