Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fragrant cut flowers

Posted by anniew 4-5/PA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 16, 05 at 15:07

I grow cut flowers for my stand and for farmers markets. Can you suggest some that might be useful to add fragrance to bouquets, either annuals or perennials. I'm in a cold zone 5. Thanks so much...Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fragrant cut flowers

How about Freesia and Rose. My climate is much different from yours and I haven't a clue what does
and doesn't grow your climate zone.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

o

Thanks for the suggestions...I think both freesia and most roses (hybrid teas) won't make it through the winter here...but I love freesias...I should do some and bring them inside at the end of the season.
Ann

o

have you tried sweet peas?

o

• Posted by Mare2 5bSt.Louis (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 23, 05 at 9:23

Hyacinths? Some tulips, narcissus and other spring-flowering bulbs. Carnations. Peonies. Lily-of-the-valley and violets might make cute little nosegays (though I seem to remember the latter wimp out pretty quickly as cut flowers). Lilies (the new orientpets are supposedly hardy to zone 4). The new fragrant coneflowers on the market--those orange and yellow ones. Some daylilies. A bouquet of lilacs would be straight out of a romance novel. Possibly some hosta flowers as fillers? Monarda, phlox. Some irises. Lots of annuals, like nicotiana and tuberose. Those are just a few I can think of. I'd go through catalogs and check for zone if I were you. Also you might want to check the antique rose forum; I fell in love with fragrant gardens in your zone and there are some that would work, but I don't know the names.

Am pretty sure the nursery below is out of Ohio, so he has some cold-hardy stuff and all of it fragrant. If you use these, please open a flower stand near me!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower Scent Gardens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here