Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Osmanthus Fragrans handle desert heat?

Posted by toffee-el Z9 Sunset Z13 SoCal (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 15:32

Osmanthus Fragrans (Sweet Olive)in Palm Springs? Heat and low humidity? I want to plant in full sun against a west facing wall. Think they can handle it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Osmanthus Fragrans handle desert heat?

Toffee,
It can surely handle the heat, but it can't handle the lack of humidity at all.
It will not grow nice, if at all.
Sorry.
That is why they thrive in the hot humid southeast.

o

That's not the best place for it! I have one here in Houston and it gets shade most of the year and sun in the hottest part of summer and it's thriving and blooms about twice a year (right now included.) I wouldn't suggest putting it there.

o

Maybe it may work with misting spray with shade from afternoon sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Misting spray

o

I have 2 in Central Tx. They bloom off and on all winter and spring. My favorite fragrant. It's very hot w/low humidity in the summer. Mine do very nicely. They did do better in Dallas but mine are beautiful just not tall. I do have to have them in the east as our west is brutal. I th ow my dishwater on them several times a day. Keeps them free of bugs and disease. They were the first thing I planted when I moved here in 2002. I had the nursery special order for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here