Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor Gardenia Optimum Humidity Level

Posted by mistascott 7A (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 16, 12 at 16:07

Everyone says they need a ton of humidity, but is there such a thing as too much? I have a humidifier that runs cool mist near it and it is keeping the relative humidity between 70-80%. Is this too high? The blooms don't seem to be staying white as long as they did when I had it lower.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor Gardenia Optimum Humidity Level

Your humidifier keeps the whole room at that humidity level??

o
RE: Indoor Gardenia Optimum Humidity Level

The hygrometer is close to both the humidifier and the gardenia. The humidifier is designed to cover a larger room than the one it is in. I have no furnace heat coming in through the registers in this room and doors closed at all times. The whole room is probably not uniformly humid, but it is definitely this high around the plant. I am keeping it between 70-80% but it has been as high as 85%. Daytime temps are 62-65 at night and 73-75 on a sunny day, 68-70 on a cloudy one.

I have heard what a challenge it can be to grow gardenia indoors, so I am trying to create optimal conditions. I did read somewhere that 70% humidity is considered a greenhouse minimum for indoor growing so I think I will leave things as they are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here