ylang ylang seed!!!!!!!

Posted by maureen 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 23, 07 at 16:08

Looking for ylang ylang seed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ylang ylang seed!!!!!!!

Maureen-
If all else fails, my tree is in flower now- I will hopefully have seeds in a a few months. Contact me then-
Gwenn

o

Hello Miss Gwenn,
I just saw your post and was wondering if I might be able to obtain some seeds from you. Also, I was wondering whether you've been able to sprout them over there yourself. I have varying information on the timing for planting them. Some people from FL insist that they plant them as soon as they collect them, but that they could take as much as 6 months to sprout. In other places, like for example, a marketer from Canada(!), says that their seeds from Thailand could be on the shelf for 7 months and they are still viable.

I, myself, have tried hundreds of seeds, and have had very minimal success. Nothing grew from the hundreds that I bought from large seed companies. I got sixty fresh seeds from Guam last Oct-2006, and just before Christmas, two sprouted. Then in Jan-2007 six more sprouted. Then through March, four more. Being in the Seattle area, it's very difficult as it is. But what made it worse was that we had power outage last winter lasting 6 days. Thank heaven for portable generators.

Thank you very much.

Chong

o

Chong, If you can send me one Ylang Ylang seedling, I will trade with you a Osmanthus rooting of " WandianJing"----"Ten Thousands of Gold pieces", the best Os in yellow with slightly reddish tone. Deal or no deal?

o

Since these are my first seeds from my tree, I severely underestimated time to ripeness. The fruit is still green (it must be like a black olive when it is ripe).

However, I have grown many YY plants from seed. I only plant FRESH seeds- usually right from the fruit. I doubt they remain viable for long.
They can start sprouting in 1 month, but I usually see them in about 3 months. (I guess it depends on the temps and if I remember to water constantly).

Next time I go to my friends place, I will try to remember to pick up seeds for you guys.

By the way, my tree is in bud again! I hope it continues to have multiple blooming cycles as it gets larger.

o

Please show us a flower picture, if possible. Do you know how old the seedling should be to start of producing flower?

o

My tree is from a seedling I grew- it started blooming at about 2.5 years old and about 6 ft tall. Of course, I have optimal growing conditions for the tree, so in other zones, it may take longer.

Here is a link that might be useful: ylang ylang flower

o
RE: ylang ylang seed!!!!!!! my Tree

I ordered my Ylang Ylang tree about 2 years ago from a grower in Florida, the first year in winter it lost all it's leaves, now it's grown to be 6ft tall and has never bloomed, I think this week I'm going to transplant it to a larger pot to maybe let it's roots spread and see if it blooms, the leaves are healthy but the tree isn't very full yet. I can't wait for it to bloom.

o

Maureen and Chong- I sent you email.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here