Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
true_blue_gw

Cestrum Nocturnum: Which size to buy?

true_blue
11 years ago

Hi all,

IâÂÂve heard of the fabulous and strong fragrance of Cestrum, and I want to buy one, this year.
How fast growing a plant is it, as I want the flowers the same year :)
What size plant do you recommend?
Is it worth buying a big plant or no, a small plant will grow very fast?

Thanks,

Bob

Comments (15)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Hi Bob!

Cestrum nocturnum does grow fast but only with lots of sun, heat and fertilizer.
    Since you're up north I would recommend starting with a decent size plant.
    From my experience even 2-3 foot plants don't bloom that often but that may have been due to the spot I planted it in (some nearby plants were partially shading it).
    I've noticed that Almost Eden offers a variety (Sunset Scentsation) that they say blooms more often than the regular C. nocturnum. I've always been curious about it. ;)

Of course I'm going to throw in that you may hate the scent...just warning ya!

-Robert

• true_blue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your response, Robert.

Heat and fertilizer aren't much of a problem.
    Sun, 4 to 5 hours max.

I'd be happy if it blooms once, but generously.

I know I might hate it, but you live once hey, so why not try it, (that goes for the Sunset Scentsation too ;) )

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Bob, I'm sure yours will bloom. It's one of the most vigorous plants you'll ever grow. It has a strong, heavy scent that I don't particularly love but since the scent is so strong and the plant is so easy to grow I'm keeping it. : )

• true_blue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Kemistry,

I know, it's vigorous, however, I don't have the patience, to wait a year or two for flowers, hence my question about which size to buy :)

Bob

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Yeah, go with a large sized plant just like what Robert had suggested. A tiny cutting will still bloom within 1 year but with less flowers. But don't stop there, have you tried bulbs? Tuberose & Freesia are super fragrant. : )

• true_blue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, that's clear, I'll get the biggest one.
    I did the same mistake with sweet olive, I bought a small one, which is vaguely fragrant). I don't want to repeat the same mistake again :)

I know both Freesia (albeit the somewhat undependable florist version) and tuberose.

I just want something violently fragrant, wafting, dependable and vigorous.

I know it's difficult to keep Jasmines here in Montreal, so I was looking for something with a really pronounced fragrance.

11 years ago

I think you nailed it with C. nocturnum! Come sunset you'll know when it's blooming. :)

-Robert

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Another super vigorous and super fragrant plant is brugmansia. I had 1 bloom last Fall and my goodness it really stunk up the whole living room. Lol. Robert says it smells awesome outdoors.

11 years ago

You're terrible, Kemistry! :P
    Well if we've made this a free-for-all I'm throwing in Brunfelsia gigantea. It smells awesome at night!

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hey guys and gals!! I've been crazy these days!

I do have pics to share very soon and can I get any of you addicted to one of the most fragrant orchids I have ever smelled?
    It's a clean sweet crisp fragrance that fills the room with an inviting charm and realxing feel! The kind of fragrance we all strive for and can never find!

Ok, what are we talking about here? lol

I have one that is about 6 inches high, plant that is and it seems to be growing ever so slowly! I wold say stick with a mature large one. I hope mine grows fast once the heat and sunshine is exposed to it.

Hoping you are all well Robert, Wes, Rosey, Olympia, Laura. Jodik, Kemistry, Finius, Josh, Butterfly4u, and anyone I might of mssed.

Mike:-)

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Okay Mike that's just rude. You tell us about an awesome smelling orchid but you don't give us its name. Lol. : ))

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Kemistry..I KNOOOOWWW that once I tell you, you'll be right on it..lol

Once I get a some time this weekend I'll post my newbies and will share. I hope to get many here orchid addicted befoe the end of this year.ha

Mike

11 years ago

Okay. Call me crazy but I was just in the bathroom at work and thought I smelled Cestrum nocturnum! Turns out there was an air freshner in the bathroom by California Scents called 'Hawaiian Gardens'.
    Anyone else ever sniff this and think it smells like cestrum or am I just nuts? Laugh.

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: California Scents - Hawaiian Gardens

• true_blue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Robert thanks for the recommendation of Brunfelsia gigantea. Unfortunately I haven't yet found a source in Canada.
    The problem with most fragrant plants is keeping them alive through our long winters. That's why I'm looking for practical plants, easy going plants.
    BTW I nearly ordered the Hawian Gardens air freshner :)
    Kemistry, I know it's idiotic but I am weary of super toxic plants.
    meyermike that seems like a fantastic orchid. I'm looking forward to photos and more info about it.

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

True blue, Cestrum Nocturnum grows very fast, bigger one will give you more flowers if you like the scent. One of the fragrant plant I would recommend is the Jasmine polythanus, or french jasmine. They are very easy to grow and has strong wafted pleasant fragrance. It requires some low temperature to develop its flower buds. my Jasmine P.is blooming right now and has a ton of flowers.

Hi, Mike, hope all the snow is gone now . aren't you going to show us what you got from the orchid show?