Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shic_2006

Brunfelsia uniflora Jasmine

shic_2006
18 years ago

Very fragrant, young flower white, older ones purple.

Comments (7)

• northtexasgirl
    18 years ago

shic, that is gorgeous!! I've been wanting to purchase one of these...does anyone know any good, reputable sources? Thanks. :)

Leona

• kasiec
    18 years ago

I have to agree with Leona. I believe this is also known as Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow. Two years ago when I came to Gardenweb, someone posted this beautiful flower. And so I had to run out and buy it. I live in Southern California and so it was not difficult to find this plant at a reasonable price. But I also remembered that Logees Nursery was recommended by many that do mail orders. I hope this helps a little bit Leona.

Kasie

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R1116-4

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry, the older flowers are white, younger ones are purple. There are many different types of this jasmine. The first image is like a bush. The following is a semi-climbing type with larger leaves and flowers:

{{gwi:784819}}

• kasiec
    18 years ago

Shic - whatever type of Brunfelsia it may be, they're gorgeous. The leaves on your second photo resembles the Night Blooming Jasmine plant. You have very healthy looking plant.

Kasie

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

kasie,

How interesting! I am not aware because I donÂt have night blooming jasmine. Also, I need to admit that it is not my plant. The images are linked from the internet. Sometimes, choosing name for a product is very important. If you call it "today, yesterday, tomorrow, next year Â" - a mouthful - and people don't know what it is. How about a cultivar name "fading jasmine" or "chameleon jasmine"?

• jimshy
    18 years ago

I've never heard of brunfelsia being called a "jasmine" before, and it could be quite confusing, although lots of plants that aren't jasminum species are called jasmine anyway -- I think it's a beautiful plant, but I've never gotten a good scent from smelling one. Maybe it's me, or maybe they're more fragrant in warmer climates.

Jim

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jim,

These Brunfelsia Unifloras truly have strong fragrance. Their common name is "bi-color jasmine" in most Asian countries (for example, Japan and HK).

The fragrance is as strong as (if not stronger than) say Jasmine samba. Jasmine is a very broad name for elegant plants with white and fragrant flowers.

You wonÂt realize the rationale unless you have been impressed by a fragrant type. The Brunfelsia family has hundreds of species. You are right that some are not as fragrant or less interesting.