Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golden_ca_2000

couldnt resist

golden_ca_2000
15 years ago

Today while I was out I just couldnt resist buying myself another stephanotis - they have to be one of my favorite plants. Now I have 3 - (couldnt wait for the others to flower)

If only you could smell it - it fills the whole kitchen with its lovely scent!!!

Comments (7)

• jimshy
    15 years ago

That's outstanding -- how come you didn't buy enough for the rest of us? ;>)

Jim

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Golden,

That is soooo beautiful!! You are so lucky to find one that is already blooming!! I was not as lucky with the one that I received a couple of weeks ago, I have no buds... I wonder if mine will bloom at all this year? Are'nt they suppose to be spring bloomers? Yours must have come from a greenhouse to be blooming this time of year?

Thanks for sharing your pictures...if you have three of them, you must love them! I am just so excited about getting my one!!

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jim, Jezzz - you shoulda told me - they had 5 in full flower! I also bought myself a small gardenia too :0)

puglvr
    It probably did come from a green house - but I do have another stephanotis as I mentioned and it is 3 years old - and just in the process of flowering. I probably have about 8 flower buds comeing. But the SECRET is - in winter put in a cooler area - if you have a basement window or something you can put it close to where it gets cooler - say 50 - 55 F. Let it dry out - water very little in winter. Then when it starts to warm up - move it into a warm spot - cut it back a little - just the tips. Then start watering and fertilizing - as I mentioned on another post - try the african violet fertilizer. And hopefully it will work for you like it has for me!

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just wanted to show you a photo of my older stephanotis with the flower buds coming in. Kind of wierd looking things - lol.

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tips golden!! I especially appreciate that close up picture of the new buds emerging. Now I will know what to look for...

Unfortunately, most if not all?? of the houses here in Fl have no basements...we're at sea level, so if you start digging to build a basement, you will surely hit the ocean, LOL...the best I have is to put it outside underneath some trees so it can get the cooler temps at night. We will have to see if its enough to make it flower? Are you saying I should be bringing it inside when the temps go below upper 40's? How cold can this plant tolerate outside...low 40's?

Thanks again,

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah I guess Florida is a pretty warm place - Lucky you! But if you can find somewhere to put it - if you have a cooler season. Upper 40's should be ok - as I am pretty sure it gets about 46 or so in my garden window with the blinds shut in the winter. But dont let it get too cold. Lower 40's - I'd be careful - maybe put it in your garage near a window if it gets that cool out.
    Actually I just looked on my thermometor which keeps a memory of high and low - and last night it was 45 (low) in my garden window. So even low 40's you' probaby be ok as long as it doesnt get any cooler than that.
    Good luck! Golden

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Golden,

Thanks for the info on the temps...we are slowly entering our spring season(warmer temps for us), about another week. We only have two nights this week forecasted in the 40's then we start warming up a little more each day....more typical Fl weather...before you know it, come the middle of March, I will be complaining of the heat, lol...