Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cweathersby

Enjoying winter honeysuckle

cweathersby
14 years ago

I have a winter honeysuckle that I walk by at least 10 times a day. It is really a joy right now. Smells like candy! The other ones in my garden are not close enough to paths to really enjoy like this. So anyone living in a zone where these will live, purchase and place it right!

Comments (7)

• floweryearth
    14 years ago

I was planning on getting one, but now after reading this I will definitely get one. :)

• jimshy
    14 years ago

Because of all the snow, mine's just barely starting to open up. Hands down, my favorite winter flowering shrub (witch hazels a close second) and tough as nails.

Mine's flowering rather sparsely this year, not sure if it's lack of fertilizer or it's outgrowing its pot and it needs a root trim.

If you like fragrance, get it, and don't be put off by the size listings in the catalogs; like most honeysuckles, you can keep it pruned back to almost nothing and still get flowers.

• floweryearth
    14 years ago

Good to know. I was wondering where I was going to put such a big bush.

• friedabyler
    12 years ago

What are the sun requirements of winter honeysuckle? I got one last summer, planted it in a pot, and it's been in there ever since. I plunked it on the north side of the house to see how it would do, and surprisingly, it's had a few blooms. Started in December, and it still has a few. It has also remained evergreen. I'm wondering whether it would bloom more heavily if it had more sun. I have a spot on the southwest side that gets lots of sun in winter, when the leaves are off of the [gigantic!] oak. Would that spot work just as well or better? I have no experience with this shrub, and can't wait to plant it in it's permanent spot!

• cweathersby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think they will grow and bloom in pretty much any sun placement. I have 1 that gets sun pretty much all day, and 6 that are in so much shade that I was suprised that they grew, much less bloomed. But they all bloom very well, and have been smelling so good since December!
    The leaves stay on mine for most of the winter too, and it looks horrible. Not evergreen, more like ragged and yellowish and not quite falling off. Lots of my deciduous plants that bloom in winter hold onto their leaves in an ugly way in my climate.

• friedabyler
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tips! I wonder whether the bush's looks will change from one year to the next depending on weather conditions. That southwest corner is right next to the back door, and so far, the little bush in the pot hasn't looked ugly at all, even with a northern exposure. [Although this winter has been mild.] Glad to know they also bloom in the shade. If I knew they'd stay nice looking every winter, I'd be tempted to plant several as a screen to conceal some ugly things outside our utility room [dryer vent, pipes, gas tank, ect.] They would only get morning sun for about 3 hrs. max.
    Armloads of branches would be wonderful in the dead of winter for bringing inside! How long do the blooms last in a vase?

• cweathersby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mine have looked the same each year. I've had them for at least 5 years. I've seen the leaves drop and look beautiful maybe once. Watch out, they get at least 6' x 5'! They root easily, and I rooted the first one I had and planted a screen of them. Very effective.
    Keep in mind that my zone is different than yours. I've been to places only an hour and a half north of me where the deciduous plants truly are deciduous. Yours may very well lose it's leaves most years.