Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetmichelia

Cananga fruticosa story (dwarf Ylang Ylang)

sweetmichelia
14 years ago

Tell me all about your Dwarf Ylang Ylang and what type of lite you have it in? Tell me how long it took to get flowers on it, I just got one today in the mail and it's only 8 inches big.... please advise, Only successful growers please. pictures loved ....Thank you.

Comments (5)

• majestic
    12 years ago

Aloha, I purchased a Canaga fruticosa, 21 inches high from soil for $ 60. Will you tell me where you purchased your plant of 8 inches high. Mine is not doing well and hate to pay $ 60. again.
    The plant was purchased when in a 3 gallon pot with poor draining soil and was not growing, shouldn't have been in more than a two gallon pot. I repoted the plant in a one gallon pot with good graining soil. It's going further downhill. Maybe it's the transplant shock doing it's thing. Plese e-mail me info on your place of purchase. Thank you for your time. James, maestro8780@aol.com

• mehitabel
    12 years ago

I bought cananga fruticosa last summer from Gardino's at Rareflora.com. I don't remember the cost, it certainly wasn't more than $60, but I think it was less.

It came with a few buds on it, about 4 feet high, stem about diameter of a finger with a tuft of leaves and flowers at the top. I repotted to clay, kept it in the hottest sun, full south and west sun all day.

Last winter, I kept it in a north window, very poor light, but watered very sparingly and it survived.

Outside in ate spring, into full sun, it began to thrive. Hasn't grown that much taller, but lots of new leaves and a whole lot of flower buds that are just beginning to open.

• kemistry
    12 years ago

Can you describe the fragrance of this plant Mehitabel?
    I have a small plant that I bought from HI last year. It grows very slow for me. :)

• mehitabel
    12 years ago

Hi, Kemistry. I'm sorry I didn't see your post before this.

About the fragrance-- I haven't been able to catch any fragrance from it. There have been several flowers that matured and opened up, tho they didn't turn yellow-- stayed green and then fell off.

I've tried mornings and evenings, and quite often at midday. We've had many, many very hot, humid days. I just don't get anything. Unfortunately, I believe my nose is losing its ability to detect a number of scents, so I can never be sure when it is the plant and when it's my nose.

Sorry I can't be of more help. If I ever am able to catch a whiff from it, I will definitely report back here.

The artabotrys hexapetalus I had five or so years ago had a wonderful rich scent of bananas plus a lot of other notes in it that started to waft about 2 or 3 in the afternoon. It was the richest, warmest, loveliest scent I had ever smelled, and this is what I was hoping to recapture.

• kemistry
    12 years ago

Thanks Mehitabel! (I've read that the fruticosa flower is scented only after it has turned yellow.)

I also have an hexapetalus.. hopefully one day i'll be able to experience the wonderful fragrance you described. :)