Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mersiepoo

My jasmine - does it want a divorce or what???

mersiepoo
17 years ago

Arabian Tea was a beautiful plant when it arrived in the mail. Happy and cheerful, it gleefully bounded out of the carton onto my window sill where it commenced to bloom for me a week after it's cardboard incarceration. All summer we had a lovely relationship, it would give me sweet smelling flowers, and I would give it the occasional water and fertilizer. It even put out new growth for me with no complaints. Only one time did it fuss when I forgot to water it. I apologized profusely and it graciously forgave me. Those were the salad days.

Fast forward about 7 months.

I don't know how our relationship got on the rocks, specifically. Some psychotherapists would call it a 'bad environment', others might blame me for changing things without telling my jasmine beforehand. Whatever I did, it started resenting me. To be fair, I did have to alter its living accomodations. I decreased the room temperature and lighting. I think I put it in shock, but it didn't say anything. It started dropping hints and leaves, which I took as passive agressive behavior. It refused to give me any flowers at all. I still gave it a 'peace offering' of water, and even misted its leaves because of the lack of humidity. I even gave it a plant pal by letting it roost next to my water logged papyrus plant. All to no avail. Every time I would water it (I even made sure it was dry first and let the water drain! I swear!), its leaves would just dry up and fall off. They didn't turn black, they just stayed green and crispy and fell off.

So what do you think? I suspect it's getting interested in the papyrus plant....

I think I'm going to either start drinking profusely or GET A GARDENIA and really let myself be miserable.

Comments (7)

• quinnfyre
    17 years ago

Please check for mites ASAP. My one jasmine gets mites almost religiously, though it hasn't since I sprayed it with MiteX. One sign it has mites is that new growth is not flat and nice but kind of quilted looking. Also, it drops green colored leaves that are crunchy and dry.

Look behind the leaves for webbing and what can appear as dust. If you look closely though, they are little tan specks that move.

If you see them, give it a shower immediately. If you have a spray bottle or shower attachment, use it to try and forcefully rinse them off. Leaves will fall off, but as long as you have enough left for it to feed itself, it should be ok. As soon as possible, get some insecticidal soap or MiteX or something like that, and spray it. Spray it every few days or at least once a week until you see no traces of mites.

Then just keep an eye on it. If you see translucent new growth or quilty leaves, get ready to fight mites.

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No, one thing it definitely does not have is mites, believe me. It's not a promiscuous plant to be sure.

• jimshy
    17 years ago

Hmmm,

I'm guessing the relationship started to sour in the fall? You've correctly surmised that changing conditions probably put it into shock a bit, but even aside from that, you can't expect j. sambac to do that much during the dead of winter up north, indoors, unless it's in total full sun, day temps up near 80, and humidity like Alabama in August. Otherwise, it tends to sulk and not grow much.

The problem here is that many growers keep watering like it's still summer, or react to the slow growth and leaf drop by giving it more water (not accusing you, mersiepoo, just talking generally here), and if it's cold and wet at night, it starts to get root damage.

The combination of lower light, temps and humidity and wet roots is enough to make anyone resentful, not just those afflicted by SAD.

If the stems are still green, then you can save the marriage with therapy: keep it barely moist, not wet, for a few more weeks and see if you can get some new growth to stay with you. Then gradually up the watering as day length increases, and with luck your Maid O' Orleans will be merry again by Mother's Day. If it's still not happy with your domestic arrangements in a few weeks, it's time to gently ease it out of the pot when the soil's dry and inspect the rootball for brown, soggy, rotten roots. Trim them off, dust with cinnamon (an anti-fungal trick learned from the orchid growers), and repot with fresh mix.

If it all goes bad, just remember, it was never meant to be between the two of you, and there's plenty more jasmines out there waiting . . . .

By all means drink heavily and get a gardenia, too -- just make sure it's coffee or tea so you can pour the leftovers onto the gardenia!

Good luck!

Jim

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Jimshy!

Thanks for your moral support! I made sure to not overwater it (it was really dry when I watered it this winter), because I know that too much water can make it think you love it too much and they will distance themselves from you sometimes. I should play hard to get, right? I've let it get more light, and tried to not pay it too much attention (in case it's still interested in me). I do see a single leaf bud at the base, so I still have hope that it'll come back to me. I'll keep ya updated on our relationship. :)

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's official. Dead. Now I'm FREE to get another one, HAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

• nomadic
    17 years ago

Hopeless romantic and all.
    Don't you think some nurseries have perfected the craft of growing plants with a self timer so they wither and die after several months of bouncy healthy existence?
    Any conspiracy theorists out there? :)

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, they do have a method of destroying the plants, but instead of timers, the have bred the plants to emit an internal cyanide gas and they commit suicide that way. No way to tell except by autopsy or spectroanalysis. I've seen the secret videos....