Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rexedwardfairy

Jasminium Sambac Duke Of Tuscany - transparent leaves!

rexedwardfairy
12 years ago

Hi there,

I've a strange thing occuring. I'm in subtropical zone and have had a Jasminium Sambac Duke Of Orleans for two years. Its in a pot, and does flower for me. Recently however, we moved (20 minutes away so it's not a climate thing) and now my treasured Jasminium seems to be not so happy. It has three canes, two of which are fine, but the third is behaving weirdly.

"Weirdly?" you ask. Why yes, I answer. How's this for weird: the leaves on the bottom of that cane (ie the new growth) seem to be going transparent. They are a paler green than the older leaves (quite dark) at the top of the cane, and on the other healthy canes. (but this "paleness" could be due to the transparency. If I place my finger behind a leaf, although you cannot 'see' my finger through the leaf, you can certainly tell that there is something finger shaped behind the leaf. And what's more, these leaves fall off as soon as you touch them - really they seem to be hanging on by a mere thread! Whereas the healthy leaves up top and other healthy canes are happy to stay attached to the plant! If I hold up one of the 'transparent leaves' to the sun, I can see that it seems like they're most 'pale/yellow' in the veins - with the interveinal area still a pale green, but the real, real paleness (yellowness) follows the veins. Most confusing as this is the OPPOSITE of what all the "remedies' for 'yellow' leaves predict/fix (ie the remedies talk of curing interveinal chlorosis (green veins, yellow leaf between the veins, but that's not what's happening here - i've got the opposite - paler (yellowish) veins and then still pale (compared to healthy leaves) leaf between the veins).

Now my roses did this some time ago and drove me to distraction. (because again all the 'cures' wanted to address green veins/yellow inbetween - when my roses (just like my sambac now) in fact had yellow veins and pale between the veins. I eventually hooked onto some old English chap who'd written about this and also noted the rose-leaves dropped upon touch.... He said he found it due to be ... (stretching my brain, I cant believe I didnt keep a copy of his article!) ... cane die back or canker, can't recall which. But surely my jasminium can't die of canker - isnt that a rose only disease? Does my jasminium even have canker?

Right, so you see the confusion. Happy for ANY input at this stage. I'm rather inlove with that sambac...

Comment (1)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA