Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardenia for Pacific NW?

Posted by vissara 8 OR (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 4, 11 at 23:41

I know, I know, starting to grow Gardenias is crazy... but I only want ONE....

We are at the top end of zone 8, summers tend to be relatively dry, but far from arid. Spring, Fall and Winter are very very wet.

I was thinking of trying Mystery. Any comments/suggestions would be welcome.

I have already tried Kliem's Hardy and given it up as a bad job, it didn't die (well, 'til I killed it)or suffer from health/pest problems but the blooms were small and rare and not very fragrant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardenia for Pacific NW?

I grow Frostproof in pots and they are doing great. I believe they are cold hardy to zone 6 with protection so they should do fine here in Oregon.
The scent is beautiful; it isn't overpowering that it would give you a headache like the regular Gardenia and it's strong enough to waft in the air at night. One bloom could scent up a small room.

They are ones of my vigorous plants and I haven't seen bugs bothering them yet.

o

I have a lot of other frangrant plants in the yard (confederate jasmine, honeysuckle, lilac, roses, lavender, four o'clocks,nicotiana) from reading online it didn't sound like a single Frostproof plant could hold it's own in that company. It sounds like you are confiming this?

o

Frostproof is less fussy, more cold hardy, a compact and attractive plant. The flowers aren't as showy or strongly fragrant like those tree Gardenias but that doesn't mean it's a lesser plant. I prefer Frostproof over any of the other cultivars, but that's just me.
If I have space though I would overload myself with tuberose, which to me has a much finer scent than Gardenia or Jasmine sambac, and the fragrance is incredibly strong at night.

o

While you are at it, look into Michelia Figo (Banana Shrub) and Osmanthus Fragrans (Sweet Tea Olive) as well. Both of these plants should be zone-8 hardy.

o

It sounds like our our taste in plants may be dead opposites lol. I agree with you that tuberose is fantastic, although I mostly use it in pots so it doesn't get lost in flowerbeds.

'Showy' and 'Strongly Fragrant' are pretty much my top two qualifications. A plant can be as fussy as it wants if it is a showstopper.

My sister had a Sweet Tea Olive for a while, and while the scent it beautiful the flowers did nothing for me and I am not a fan of foliage plants at all.

o

Ah I see! :) I'm more into fragrance than showy appearance so I hope someone else could chime in with the suggestions.

I like the look of First Love (Aimee) but I'm not sure how hardy it is. Mystery could too, we don't know 'til we try right? Happy gardening! :)

o

i grow 'mystery' and consider it (the shrub and flowers) to be the most beautiful in form of the ones that i grow. it grows to become and 8' rounded shrub here and blooms around memorial day. the flowers are large and very fragrant and the foliage is large,dark, shiny green. our summers can be hot and dry and winters rather mild and wet. i give my gardenia plants shade from the hot afternoon sun and they seem to appreciate it. the flowers last longer, anyway. acidic soil conditions should be provided or the leaves will yellow.
you might also consider 'august beauty' if you want a more upright shrub. it will also rebloom moderately in late summer/early fall and the flowers/leaves are smaller than those of 'mystery'.
they all don't seem to mind pruning if your space is limited.

o

Thanks Jeff,
I went ahead and ordered "Mystery" tonight. From what you day it sounds like a good match for my yard. It sounds like our summer/winter conditions are similar and acidic soil certainly isn't a problem...

o

I can discredit the comment above about Frost Proof Gardenia being hardy in zone 6. I'm in zone 7, planted five of them and 95% of leaves on them are now black and I'm guessing they're dead. I do love the scent of Frost Proof Gardenia, did get to smell them blooming when I bought them last summer but they can't even handle our zone 7 winter!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 21:32

Mine froze this winter also, here close to Puget Sound (but up above it). You are probably actually in USDA 8 as well, but it makes no difference in this case of this plant.

o

Thank you both, can you tell me if they were first year plants? I had planned on some winter protection (a cloche or something similiar) for at least the first year.

o

This is a helpful thread...just giving it a bump for any other comments as I'm also wondering whether these plants that died were young/given any protection ...

o

Mystery isn't going to make it outside in the PNW, my Kleim's Hardy is barely alive. It is not new, three years I've limped it along. It freezes to the ground every year and only bloomed the first.

We do not have the heat and sun they need to thrive like they do have in the South. USDA climate zones only take cold into account so plants that thrive in GA and NC zone 8 or even 7 often don't here.

I grow gardenias here but in my heated greenhouse...

o
replacements for gardenias....

If you want Gardenia strength fragrance without the fuss plant Daphne odora and cneroum. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here