Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yellowthumb

Any of these Michelias can be grown in a container?

yellowthumb
19 years ago

Hi All,

After reading so many wonderful things about Michelia, I know that I must have them. I live in Ottawa, Canada, zone 5, I can get Michelia figo, maudiae, foveolata and Manglietia insignis. Since I live in zone 5, they have to be in container in my solarium. Can I put all these Michelias in container? Do you think they will flower there? I know Michelia maudiae, foveolata and Manglietia insignis are like trees, I don't want them to suffer in container. Thanks so much for your experience.

Comments (9)

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

Try the shrubby form of Michelia yunnanensis/Magnolia dianica, as well as M. figo.

• risingpower1
    19 years ago

They'll go fine in containers, I've got my figo and maudiae in containers and they don't mind it one bit. If they flower in the UK, they'll flower in your zone too. Just bear in mind that you'll be keeping it in that container for at least a few years, so I'd advise on a largeish container.

• yellowthumb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks so much for your kind reply. I think I am going to try the Figo and Manglietia insignis. This should be really cool if I can make them flower in my zone.

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

YellowThumb, I have both M. figo and Manglietia insignis in containers too, and they are doing well.

• yellowthumb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Clare,

I feel much more confident now. I do envy the heavenly Florida weather, you would never need to worry something not goint to grow well in your zone.

Clare, has your Manglietia insignis flowered for you yet? Is it leggy? I have a maudiae that is quite leggy. How big is your container?

• jimshy
    19 years ago

I've had a michelia/magnolia/whatever yunnanensis for nearly two years in a container -- haven't flowered it yet because it's hard to overwinter in a smaller container -- the roots dry out too quick, or get too wet and cause some die-back. I'm going to repot it this weekend and see if it does better this year.

One book praised its toughness and even suggested it could substitute for an indoor ficus! That's definitely stretching it in my experience, but it has been pretty tough in less than ideal conditions.

Jim

• orchidbee
    17 years ago

I grow M. alba (M. champaca alba) in a pot outdoors here in S. Florida and it flowers frequently in the warmer 6 months.

Where are you all finding M. yunnanensis? I have searched for a US source but have not found one. Thanks

• jimshy
    17 years ago

Orchidbee,

I got mine from worldplants as a small cutting; their selection changes constantly so they may not have it right now.

Try a web search for michelia yunnanensis and magnolia dianica as well, and you should turn up a source.

Good luck!

Jim

• longriver
    17 years ago

My vote is yes. I have a numerous of plants in containers including yellow magnolias, michelias etc. They all have been producing flowers. The plant needs maturity and physical capacity to produce flowers. In general my plant are in 5 to 15 gal size containers set at warm area during growing season. Sometimes I push or prune the top branches to grow side-way in order to keep it to fit in my green house for cold days. Better and well drain potting soil mix are essential. Good commercial potting soil is usually not good enough for large pot. Sometimes adding mini fir bark, perlite or other garden material to increase air cell structure in the potting mix and to reduce the weight.

Good luck!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?