Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guanabanaboy

Mystery Vine

guanabanaboy
16 years ago

I live in Southern California, and I just discovered that this little wirey vine that I've been treating as a weed for years, produces tiny little flowers with a really powerful wafting fragrance like jasmine or daffodil. For years, these little vines have been springing up here and there in my yard, and I have been spraying these things out as I considered them to be without any value.

So, for about a month now, I have been noticing this really nice fragrance, that I do not recognize, as I pass through the gate that goes to the back slope of my property. But I cannot figure out where it is coming from. And, today I again notice the smell, and being that it is Saturday, and I have a little more time to stop and smell the flowers, I look around. I have daffodils in the vicinity, and they are in bloom. I sniff, but it is not exactly the same. I return to the gate, and there, tangled in with the bougainvillia, I notice the little weed-vine, and it is covered with these tiny little white flowers that are really easy to overlook. I sniff, and voila!, they are the source of the wonderful fragrance - close to the daffodils, something reminiscent of jasmine, but not exactly the same (of course). Does anyone have any idea what I have here? Keep in mind, it blooms at this time of year here in So. Cal. Thanks in advance for any info you might have. Chris

Comments (3)