Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Most fragrant HARDY flowers for cutting

phylrae
14 years ago

I grow quite a few perennials/annuals for cutting here in zone 5a, ie, some of each: peonies, lilac, buddleia, oriental/OT lilies, roses, daffodils, carnations/dianthus, phlox, siberian/spuria iris, monarda, agastache, lavender...there may be others, I just can't think of them right now. I didn't have much success with lilies of the valley (they grew, but didn't bloom well), plus they were too short.

I am wondering if anyone can suggest anything ELSE that I might be missing that I can cut for my bouquets (I sell them locally). I tried sweet peas but they seemed too labor-intensive (I have a regular fulltime job as well).

Would trying to grow some kind of honeysuckle or jasmine work for cutting for vases (and wintering it over in the garage like I do my agastache, carnations and lavender) ?

I was also wondering if anyone had any ideas for chocolate smelling flowers (other than the "chocolate flower"-as I read that its petals drop everyday. Not good for bouquets!

I have heard of flowering tobacco (nicotiana) but have never smelled it...it doesn't smell bad like nicotine, right? :0)

Thank you! :0) Phyl

Comments (15)

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    14 years ago

Try Chocolate Cosmos. I am not sure how hardy it is though.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Easter lilies and or Oriental lillies..To die for!

• phylrae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, musaboru...I will try to order a plant (doesn't come from seed apparently)...
    Meyermike, thanks.....I do have some Trumpet-Aurelian hybrids and Oriental lilies...love 'em! :0) Phyl

• jeff_al
    14 years ago

try "chocolate mint". smells like one of those thin, after-dinner chocolate mints and can also be used in teas and desserts. the leafy stems would be nice filler for your bouquets and pairs well with the spicy scent of dianthus.
    nicotiana flowers have a strong, pleasant fragrance(baby powder-like) but do not make good cut flowers in my opinion.
    the fragrance comes out in late afternoon and evening.

Here is a link that might be useful: chocolate mint

• phylrae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Jeff. Since your suggestion, I noticed that B'stone P. has them on sale....I think I may get them (3/$10) and put in pots to keep from being invasive in the ground. I also read somewhere that they smell just like Andes Mints...my favorite chocolate/mint combo. :0) Phyl

• teresa_b
    14 years ago

Phyl,

You may also want to post your question at the Cutting Garden forum. If you have not tried tuberoses, you may want to give them a whirl. It is a tender bulb. All you need is a couple in a bouquet to add quite a bit of fragrance.

Teresa

• alison
    14 years ago

I was just reminded this weekend of mignonette, which you might consider. It doesn't look like much -- okay, it looks like a weed -- but the tiny little flowers are wonderfully fragrant.

Don't know how it holds up as a cut flower. The several years I grew it I would always throw a stem into whatever bouquet I made for others, but since I had the pots right on the balcony I never put it in a bouquet for myself.

• silverneedle
    14 years ago

Try russian sage (Perovskia atriplicifolia), it grows pretty much like lavender, likes heat, draught tolerant, and thrives on neglect. Hardy to zone 5.

• phylrae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tip! We will check it out at Bluestone when we make a visit there in a few weeks! :0) Phyl

• perennialfan273
    14 years ago

Santolina makes a great cut flower, and it smells wonderful after it's been set out to dry for a while.

• dekprizm
    14 years ago

Nicotiana smells wonderful and it's easy to grow

• fragrantgarden99
    14 years ago

Boronia. Short-lived, but the yellow form looks great as cut flower and smells wonderful.
    FG

• phylrae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Santolina looks nice, possibly the nicotiana (from seed)....wish I could find that Boronia somewhere locally or at Bluestone! Thanks all! :0) Phyl

• prairiegirlz5
    14 years ago

Nicotiana smells like a nice aftershave I think, it has a very clean scent; definitely try it!

Some hosta are fragrant, So Sweet is nice. Also the plain green Pearl Lake smells divine. Different!

• phylrae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again for the Nicotiana recommendation....might try. Not too crazy about hostas personally, but thanks anyway. :0) Phyl