Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blooming in March

Posted by fragrant2008 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 8:51

officially the start of spring :)

My beautiful prunus mume has started to open totally in love with the fragrance you can smell it a few feet away :)

photo IMAG0132_zps3c0f22a3.jpg

photo IMAG0131_zpsf45c0a5d.jpg

photo IMAG0134_zps3decfc6a.jpg

Also my Brunfelsias is starting to flower

photo IMAG0135_zps6fb34734.jpg

photo IMAG0136_zpsca43cbe2.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blooming in March

I don't miss northern weather at all, but sometimes I miss growing some of these beautiful plants that like a milder weather.. Beautiful Japanese flowering Apricot.. Thank you for sharing.

o

Nice YTT! Mine will bust out in another two weeks or so.

o

I LOVE threads like this....Thank fragrant for the beautiful flowers..

Mike-)

o

Thankyou Mike , Love the yard and radhaval

No one else has anything blooming in March :(

o

Oh I have lots! Now that I am feeling better I will try and take some pics for you in the a.m. tomorrow! It's been a while since I showed anything to put a smile on our miserable freezing faces..ha

Fragrant, your plants always amaze me and want more-)

Mike

o

Nice Brian! I should visit my local nursery often to check on their Prunus mume.. Haven't really had the chance to smell it yet.

A new plant for me is Pua keni keni and mine currently has some buds (Yay). I'll report on its scent when it blooms. Hopefully soon. : ))

o

Hey guys !! I love prunus, it is this year's discovery for me!!
Ok so here's what I have now, nothing fancy but very springy
(Mike my edgeworthia from the other thread is from a french nursery on ebay, doubt it will be of much use to u... Post pics, we miss your flowers!!)
peach tree
 photo IMG_6974_zps82ffd917.jpg
crocus
 photo IMG_6988_zps763bc894.jpg
hyacinths
 photo IMG_6991_zpsdc213a27.jpg
freesias
 photo IMG_6995_zpscd71b4b1.jpg
black and lilac petunias
 photo IMG_6997_zpsdcbb5d1e.jpg
malcolmia maritima
 photo IMG_7014_zps38b9842a.jpg
muscari with a not so nice scent
 photo IMG_6986_zpsecbbaf43.jpg
a cyclamen persicum hydrid with a really nice scent hangs out with my first hepatica nobilis (that is to say I've been cheating on all of you lately and spending time at the scottish rock garden forum!)
 photo IMG_6981_zps8558df61.jpg

o

Awesome just awesome :D love the peach tree really nice color any hint of a fragrance? It would not be spring with out hyacinths i have 2 terracotta half pots coming into flower soon thankyou for sharing fenius and do not spend to much time on scottish rock garden forum! :P

o

One little guy that i am really loving the fragrance of at the momment been a beautiful sunny spring day too :) sorry not the best pic

photo IMAG0138_zps22449ca0.jpg

photo IMAG0140_zps815ecc09.jpg

o

one more Vanda concolor has a nice fragrance

photo IMAG0141_zpse610fbf6.jpg

photo IMAG0143_zps67534d77.jpg

o

Hooray! I completely forgot to even comment on the last thread.

This month I have a few to share.
I'll start with my Dauben water lily.
This guy has literally not been without a bloom since I got it a year and a half ago.
Normally two to four flowers.
It bloomed in the height of summer, the lows of winter. The desiccating hour dry wind, the hail, rain, frost.
It bloomed through it all.
The fragrance is divine. And you can float this one in a dish like a gardenia. Lasts about three days.

And this is a pretty heavily shaded pond.

o

My pink Jasmine vine in its spring display.
Much better blooming this year.
Been going since the beginning of February.
My absolute favorite Jasmine fragrance.

Wafts around my whole house and yard.

o

Picked this guy up...
Just found out it had a fragrance this morning.
Smells like daffodils, but not musky.
Mini cattleya with very long lasting flowers.

o

Dendrobium wawaran. I think that's how you spell it.
Just bought this guy to. Light fragrance. Like latex. Sweet and plastic.

o

Another orchid I just bought.
A mini phal.
FLowers that open yellow and cream before fading yup white, with slight burgundy barring.

Very fragrant. Strong lemony fragrance from sunrise till sunset.

o

And I'll end on an orchid I actually grew and bloomed myself.

This is a nobile dendrobium. Den. Spring Dream 'apollon'.
A compact nobile. White with a green throat.
When they first open that have the slightest blush of pink on the very tips of the petals which you can kinds of see in the photo.

A fragrance everyone adores. Except me!
I honestly hate the way nobile dens smell. Like putrid sweet mustard.
Gives me instant nausea and migraines.

But everyone else likes it.

o

Okay so I totally cheated and bought a Jasminum polyanthum in bloom today.
This has been a hard winter and I've lost lots of plants down in the basement so I don't have any fragrant blooming plants right now but not any longer! :)

Brian,

What do you think of your brunfelsia's scent? Is it Brunfelsia australis?

-Robert

o

Everyone is show off there Jasminum polyanthum i used to have one until it got killed by the frost! now i want one again look so good in full flower :)
Love all your orchids Ordphien espically the little phal nice marking and fragrance what more do you need:)
I love the fragrance Robert on these warm spring days it can fill the orchid house and waft into the main house i am hoping one of my brunfelsia lactea flower this year

o

kemistry i have just seen a old post where you say "And of course the nursery near me just temps me with a boronia megastigma -- I've been waiting for this plant for years " think it was back in 2012 any chance you can visit that nursery and see if they can get there hands on any seeds ? ;)

o

You can find boronia seeds on ebay Brian. They are sold from Australia of course. I bought some 2 or 3 years ago but none germinated. I believe the seeds require smoke treatment to sprout. Last time I bought the seeds I saw the seller listed smoke-treated material (or something like that) to help with the germination but I didn't buy it. (Hence none of my seeds sprouted. Lol)

I haven't been to Cistus yet but if I do I'll def ask if they have Boronia. I really want to sniff this plant. :)

o

If i do a worldwide search on ebay all it comes up with is BORONIA Heterophylla not boronia megastigma :( and please do would be very much appreciated :)

o

My God..You guys are killing me!

Everytime I think I have every thing I need, you all show pics of plants I am missing out on..NOw if this is deliberate, shame on you all..lol

Time to add to my collection..Orchids especially..ha

Mike

o

First buds from my portwine magnolia from Cistus. I really love the hues in this one. Smells just like my other figo.

o

Beautiful flowers, Musaboru!

I cheated again and picked up a fragrant orchid from Lowe's before work today.It's labeled Doritaenopsis Jiuhbao Pamela.
I normally pass right on by the phalaenopsis since most aren't fragrant however I saw this little cutie and decided to sniff it.
Glad I did! It's sort of lemony/classic orchid scent like some cattleya.

-Robert

o

Not a bloom, but here is my Pua keni keni developing an inflorescence.. almost there ;)

o

woohoo can't wait to hear about that pkk scent kem.

I am trying to stay outta this thread for certain reasons (enablers lol). but I wanted to share this pic of how terrible this artabotrys flower looks but packs the most intense fruity scent. I had it in my pocket of my jacket and was on a long drive and I could smell it the entire time and even at the beach where it was so breezy. now im at work and it still going. its like a glade scented plug in and someone jammed a sour apple jolly rancher in there lol...

o

Musaboru,

Quit tempting us! ;)

The hyacinth I planted is starting to bloom.
I never noticed the gorgeous blues at the base of the petals until this one (perhaps because it's in a pot and is easier to see up close).
It looks like it's been dyed blue! I love it. :)

-Robert

o

how envious I am of your artabotrys musa! ...I don't think my arta hex is going to bloom indoors but ..I'm still hoping. Lol.

Spring is here. So many good signs. My plants are growing again. So excited.

o

Lovely Hyacinth Robert. Feels like spring....

o

beautiful photo Robert to be honest i have never really looked in that much detail at the hyacinth flower maybe i should ;)

o

I was surprised as well.
Maybe this is some special hyacinth that they used blue dye to water it with like they do with some phalaenopsis. Laugh.

-Robert

o

My first sambac jasmine bloom of the year happened today!
One of the cuttings I rooted over the winter actually bloomed. I know I should have pinched off the flower bud so the small plant could focus on roots and leaves but I couldn't bear doing that. :)
It's either Belle of India (which is most likely since I had many Belle cuttings) or Mysore Mulli.
It's a very small plant maybe 6 or 7 inches so it's hard to tell at this point.
I'll let others guess and just wait and see what the flowers look like come summer if it makes it that long.

-Robert

o

That's lovely Robert!

o

Thanks! It smells lovely as well. :)
Can't wait to get tons of sambac jasmines blooming and wafting on warm summer eves like Kem described!

-Robert

o

You know what, maybe I should remove all the buds from my cutting too, mine was is now 4". It was 2" inch last year.
By this rate, I will experience wafting in maybe 10 years :-(

o

It's a tough decision but horticulturists would no doubt recommend it so the plant could establish itself but we are growing them to sniff them. Laugh.
Hopefully your plant will put on a growth spurt come summer when it's outside in the sun. :)

-Robert

o

Yes. I hope so, Robert.

Here is a picture of a Clivia. The flowers are faintly scented. But it sure brightens the day.....

o

True, that is so beautiful....All of mine are flwoering in the basement where no one can see them...

o

Thanks Mike :-)

Why don't you rotate them? When mine start flowering I move them from exile back to glory.....

o

Nice hyacinth!
They refuse to grow here so I can only buy them in spring and enjoy them a short while.
They don't water the phals btw.
They inject the growing flower spike.

I have some things to share!

First up. A brunsfelsia. After seeing them on here I considered it deeply.
After seeing, and smelling, a hedge of them in Disneyland I pulled the trigger.

o

I also just bought a large amount of mini orchids.
None of them are flowering. They are all fragrant though. And I'm so excited I had to share.
First up.. Angraecum diediri.
reports on fragrance vary but I've heard Jasmine, spice, vanilla, and citrus.

o

Schoenorchis fragrans.
This one supposedly smells of grape soda.

o

Aerangis punctata
This one looks like a small diediri, and supposedly smells like one.

o

And lastly haraella retrocalla.
Smells like lemons.

o

beautiful Ordphien hope you get some flowers on your orchids have a few Angraecum trouble is most in that genus of orchid like it hot hot so difficult to grow over here :(

Good old hyacinths

photo IMAG0149_zps12998628.jpg

Phal slight lemon fragrance

photo IMAG0148_zps457f010f.jpg

Oncidium maculatum pleasant fragrance

photo IMAG0150_zpsbcec7392.jpg

and wills opalescent "on the edge" lovely fragrance

photo IMAG0151_zpse9a9098a.jpg

o

Lovely pictures, Ordphien and fragrant ;-)

o

My God!!!!! So many beautiful plants and those Orchids are to die for..Just when I think I have them all, I see more I need..Sheesh..

Here are a few of mine, finally..

This Phal smells like Chocolate..

photo DSCF6285_zps446cd963.jpg

Brassavolia,,Smells like a clove and vanilla. Very strong at dusk.

photo DSCF6286_zpsc3a80b68.jpg

Cattalaya...Like a hint of citrus and like floral..Delicious.

photo DSCF6281_zps16307f71.jpg

Noid..Not sure how to describe scent..LIke candy of some sort..Unbelievable is the word. I'd get mre if I could find another.

photo DSCF6282_zps56008dec.jpg

Some sort of Dendrobium..Inocent but packs a punch of very floral vanilla mixed..I love this one!

photo DSCF6275_zpse2f0cc0b.jpg

Maxillara..Hawiian Tropic coconut suntan lotion frgrance..I lift this one every day and I am reminded of the beach. I can't get enough of this one either.

photo DSCF6270_zpse183d9b8.jpg

Mitonia..Very Floral and whaffs in the air..

photo DSCF6271_zpsb0ccc98c.jpg

Zygopetalum..One of a few..They all smell different but all smell very sweek. My favorite one.

photo DSCF6266_zpsb4377160.jpg

Another type..Guess there was steam on the lense.

photo DSCF6262_zpsa220a876.jpg

Oncidium....Chocolate or course and boy does this fill up a room! SWEET

photo DSCF6267_zps78b74c76.jpg

The infamous and ellusive 'Chicken Feet' thanks to my friend here! Smells heavenly..A few plants.

photo DSCF6273_zps175f519e.jpg

photo DSCF6272_zpsdbcb83e1.jpg

photo DSCF6274_zps786027b8.jpg

Oncidium..Whaffs in the air too..Like Nailla spice and chocolate all in one..I broke the tips off again for the second winter in a row...

photo DSCF6267_zps78b74c76.jpg

No fragrance..But still love these! Air plants.

photo DSCF6268_zpsa7d3f505.jpg

photo DSCF6264_zpsae00b2a7.jpg

Mike

o

Nothing in bloom except a christmas cactus. And she doesnt smell.

o

Thats a good selection there Mike :) two favs the beautiful Oncidium and a Phal thats smells like Chocolate thats a rarity any idea of the full name ?would like to get one :) plus i envy your Mitonia i have real trouble growing them :( what mix do you use?
Is that your geenhouse? looks like mine bubble wrap everywhere does a really good job at insulating

o

Wow amazing plants there Mike. Now you have me googling fot local orchid shows so I can satisfy my lust for these plants without taking any home (ok ), maybe 1 or 2 exceptional ones).

o

It must feel like walking in sniffing paradise Mike, thanks for sharing....

o

I love all the pics! Please keep 'em coming!

I cut a plum blossom branch off a tree in an abandoned lot and brought it inside. It smells divine.

Mike,

I think your noid dend. orchid could be Dendrobium kingianum.

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 22:40

o

Robert. You are probably right. I will look that up sometime today. I really appreciate that.

Beautiful blossom by the way. Nope even a bud on ours yet.

True. Thank you. I enjoy it. No one around my area cares to know.

Musa. Thanks! Lol. You can never go to a show and come out empty handed. Some plant always seems to bet you to go along for the ride.

Fragrant. It sure is my greenhouse. Small that it may be it packs a huge punch in there as soon as I approach the doors even outside in the frigid air. Thank god for that bubble wrap. It's a pool cover.
I will get the name of that phal. Be right back
Phal. Sedirea Japonica. It has to be in a warm room to get a strong fragrance. The only downside.

Have a wonderful day all

Mike

o

Finally a substantial thread after this horrible winter..! It's so nice to see all your blooms again!I have to do some serious orchid searching this year, because of Mike..
I didn't want to post again because I am depressed at losing my michelia alba this winter after two years of pampering :"-( but slowly I'm getting in a better mood as I saw some buds in one of my orchids today..
Brian my peach tree has some scent yes!
Robert if you see my hyacinth pic I had the same cultivar this year it was called Delft Blue and it had this strange blue color, my pic doesn't show it very true though..
Anyway I hope I have some pics to show you this weekend! xx

o

Fenius,

So sorry you lost your M. alba. :(
I've lost a great deal of my plumerias. At first I was upset and I try not to think about all the money I spent then I think it just gives me a chance to add to my collection with other fragrant beauties. :)

Thank you for the hyacinth cultivar name! I scrolled back up and saw your beauties. Mine has been perfuming the back steps. So glad I planted those bulbs last fall. The other bulbs are getting ready to bloom as well.
My Dianthus 'Firewitch' in the background is also getting to ready to explode into bloom. It has a lovely clove like scent.

-Robert

o

I use to have Delft Blue back when I was still a plant newbie in high school. Found it at Target in the discount bin and back when I was a poor kid this was an awesome find, to my dismay 2 of the bulbs were already rotted but but the third one survived. It would flower faithfully every year unlike other bulbs here such as daffodils and tulips (they need more cold than they can get here). Amazing fragrance.

o

Lovely photo Robert.
I got one too :-)
The smell fills the room :-)

This post was edited by true-blue on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 13:20

o

Yay! 'Tis the season for hyacinths! :)

Yours is lovely, True Blue.
Looks like you've got lots of unopened blooms as well.

Musaboru,

Great story. I remember when our local Target used to carry plants out in the parking lot in the spring.
I miss those days. Laugh.

Oh, I noticed my Mysore Mulli jasmine has flower buds! Me bringing it up from the basement and growing it inside under the lights has paid off. Maybe next month I'll have pics for the blooming in April thread. :)

-Robert

o

Cestrum Nocturnum under one CFL light :-)
We're currently digging out another yet snow storm. (No comment).
The fragrance was so strong, that I had to systematically remove all the blooms and there were so many, I'm still not so sure of the fragrance....
I'm looking forward to the April thread too Robert.....

o

Don't feel so bad all...

Trueblue,
I have killed every single Night Blooming Jasmine I have gotten my hands on..I'm done..lol

Robert, I lost ALL my plumeria..All to rot, lack of heat or sunlight, short winters, and one I threw away out of frustration...I keep thinking I can do it, especially when I see Laura's in bloom, and deny myself the truth that I will just kill them.Please, bring on April and the blooms if they flower for you!

Fenius..I am so sorry about your Alba..I too almost lost mine..It can be very depressing..Thank goodness for our Orchids!

Musaboru..Very nice!

I was bad again!! I ordered ANOTHER fragrant perennial shrub...Hamamelis Vernalis Witch Hazel...It will be grown in a pot and fill the front house with it's fragrance and color, or the cold shed as it awakens early in the spring before all other plants..Can't wait on spring anymore around these parts for everything to bllom, so now it's late winter I will rely on..lol

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 15:12

o

Mike I'm sorry to hear that about you killing Night Jessamines. Mine is thriving; however, in close quarters the smell was just too much :-)
Sorry to hear about your Plumerias. My one and only was grown from seed in pure Turface. After overwintering it successfully a squirrel chopped it off. To be honest, I was sort of relieved :-) As I had realized that they were to complicated to grow here.
Mike witch hazel is hardy to zone 4, why not plant it in the ground? I'm not sure if it will like it in a garage. I know spring is far away, (we had a snow storm today, Lol).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here