Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardenia buds not opening / yellow leaves falling

Posted by Kim_MO (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 18, 05 at 10:16

I have a large gardenia in a 10 gallon plastic container loaded with buds. Just when I think they should be opening they seem to dry up and will not open. Also the leaves at the bottom are yellowing and falling off. I'm new to having this plant and and need help on it's care.

Thank-you,
Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardenia buds not opening / yellow leaves falling

• Posted by jview Z7a NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 18, 05 at 11:03

Kim, It's hard to know what the problem is without more information. Are you raising this plant indoors or out? I find that to keep a gardinia indoors it needs plenty of sun light during the day and not too warm a temperature at night. Warm nights cause buds to drop. Yellowing and falling leaves could be caused by too much water. Let it dry a bit between waterings then water well. When you fertalize, use a fertalizer for acid loving plants. Good luck.

o

The plant is an indoor plant.
Thanks for the info. I'll try your suggestions.
Kim

o

The plants is not getting water. Since it is indoor, it probably gets too much water.

Gardenia does not like dry or wet. It needs constant moisture. It likes more sandy soil than clay and you should water it little, but often. The same thing for outside, but you water more.

o

I have a grow light on my Gardenia thats indoors how long should I leave the light on each day? I am in Las Vegas will a gardenia be ok outdoors here, we do get rather cold weather a few days a year?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here