Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardenia

Posted by mamajenn z7 NC (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 05 at 10:22

1. How do I set up a new forum?
2. Need information on Gardenias. I was given an Augusta Beauty and have not been able to locate a forum on Gardenias on this site. I have never planted a gardenia but know they are extremely fragrant.
3. Are Otto Luyken, Dwarf English Laurels fragrant plants? Any information on these plants would be appreciated.
4. Are Indian Hawthorne's, Pink Lady and Snowbelles, fragrant plants? Any information on these plants would be appreciated also.
5. And last information on Winterberry Barberry plants would be appreciated.

Thank you for your responses as we have built a new house and I need help landscaping. I am in zone 7 of North Carolina near the Virginia border. The front of the house sits to the NW, main side to the N and of course shaded, rear to the NE.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardenia

you are not allowed to "set up" a new forum. only the webmaster can do that. you should either post questions, photos or comments about plants on the appropriate forum. this one is fine for gardenias and there is also a "shrubs" forum that will get responses for those and your other shrub questions.
i grow gardenias (any of them) in partial (mainly afternoon)shade. others recommend full sun. they may not flower at all in deep shade, though partial shade is fine in my hot area.

o

The more sun the better they bloom - i have gardenias planted in both full sun and partial shade.

o

Thank you for your response. Jen

o

I wrote Spike to request a forum on the Ozark region a couple years ago, and he started it up a few months later, you can always inquire about new forum ideas with the webmaster.

KK

o

• Posted by ashef coastal NC z8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 31, 05 at 16:56

Jen,

There are a lot of threads about growing gardenias scattered among the various forums. Do a search on all forums for "gardenias" and you'll be busy for awhile with the results. My all time favorite GW thread is "The Suicidal Gardenia" which is beyond hilarious as folks describe how tempermental their gardenias are.

However, gardenias are almost native plants here along the coast near Wilmington because they thrive in our very light (sandy) soil and high humidity with no attention at all. They are the very opposite of tempermental here! I've seen 8x6 foot gardenia bushes covered in blooms beside long-abandoned farm houses. But they HATE clay, so if you have heavy soil, so you'll have problems -- put your gardenia in a pot.

Allie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here