Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dinabear

Desperate for Sweet Shrub seeds

dinabear
19 years ago

I had been looking for these for years and a friend knew someone with some seeds to share. I planted them and nothing ever happened. I was so disappointed. If you have any of them I would love to have some again. Or if you know where I may get a shrub in the Birmingham, AL area I would be most greatful.

Thanks,

Dina

Comments (4)

• JanetGranny
    19 years ago

I did a search on eBay and found alot of them. Not a bad price on them.
    Hope this helps.

JanetGranny

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay

• jimshy
    19 years ago

If you call local nurseries and ask for calycanthus floridus, which is the botanical name, or do a web search, I'm sure you'll find a plant that's not too expensive, and will give you flowers and fragrance a whole lot quicker than planting seeds!

Jim

• rusty_blackhaw
    19 years ago

Calycanthus fragrance is highly variable, with some plants having little to no scent. To be sure of getting a variety with good fragrance, buy established plants or try working with cuttings.

• amosmc
    17 years ago

Ornamental flowering spring shrub, best known for its sweet light, fruity fragrance that can fill a yard. (Calycanthus floridus) Sweet Shrub is native to the Appalachian stream banks of the Smokies, where it is also known as Carolina Allspice, Strawberry Bush, Sweet Shade, and Bubby Blossom. Women used to place the flowers in their bodices as a perfume, hence the name "Bubby Blossom". Sweet shrub was once commonly found as an ornamental around colonial homes, especially south of the Mason-Dixon line. Several large bushes can fill a small yard with the combined fragrance of strawberry, cantaloupe, spiced apple, and burgundy wine. Sweet shrub has a distinctive maroon-red flower about 2" across. It is pollinated by small beetles that were the first pollinators of flowering plants and were instrumental in the evolution of flowering plants, long before bees and flies appeared on the scene. When the flower first opens it has the fragrance of spiced apples as it opens over a period of 7 to 10 days. Flowers first appear in mid-March with a flush of flowers in April, and a trailing out through May. Even the leaves are fragrant when rubbed, and in the fall they turn a sunny yellow. In colonial times the cinnamon-flavored bark was used as a seasoning. Sweet shrubs are ideal for planting close to the house near a window where the fragrance may drift indoors. Plant additional plants by a favor-ite path or sitting area. Will flower splendidly in full sun, but is best adapted to light shade. Flowers in 2 to 3 years from seed. Medicinal: Useful for damp spleen. An excellent herb for moving stagnant chi. The leaves, twigs, and buds have diaphoretic properties. An emmenagogue, and possibly has some anti-viral activity plant in fall about 2 inches in ground

anyway with the history lesson over these thngs are all over the place here n ga i have hundreds of seeds and tons of the plants gotta love greenhouses they can ge grown form cuttings if you guys are haveing a hard tme finding any just shoot me a email amosmc81@yahoo.com with a self addressed stamped envalope id be more than happy to send anyone a few seeds to get them started or to trade or whtever :)