Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karmicrevival

Buddeleja Asiatica?

karmicrevival
18 years ago

I just picked up a plant at a local nursery (thank goodness for my favorite local nursery -- it's filled with treasures), which was grown from a Buddeleja collected in Cambodia. I was told it was Buddeleja "ege" (I suspect that the conversion from cambodian to spanish to english didn't help with maintaining clarity of the name).

It has the most amazing, beautifully sweet, fragrance wafting from clusters of delicate white flowers.

Can anyone tell me more about cambodian buddeleja? Or buddeleja asiatica in general? i.e. tips for proper care and maintaining the blooming cycle? How tall will it grow? will it benefit from pruning?

Thank You!

Comments (10)

• karmicrevival
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here's a photo of it:

• karmicrevival
    Original Author
    18 years ago

well -- I guess photos aren't allowed... I tried

here's the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:786455}}

• jview
    18 years ago

There seem to be several varient spellings for this plant. I think you may be able to find the information you want if you google Buddleia asiaticum or Buddliea asiaticum. It sounds like a very interesting plant but unfortunately not hardy in my area.

Good luck to you. Jerry

• jimshy
    18 years ago

Buddleia asiatica is a semi-hardy (zone 8) shrub with the typical, rangy, arching habit of budds. It flowers in late fall/winter, so any pruning should be done before summer, to give it time to grow buds. I think it's got a great smell and have been trying to figure out how to make room for it for a while -- I've seen cutting-grown plants in 4" pots blooming at Logees greenhouses, but they do get big pretty quick.

Lots of sun and water in summer.

That's all I know -- never heard of a Cambodian buddleia!

Jim

• karmicrevival
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thank you for the replies.. I"ve tried googling for more info... but there's not much out there on cambodian buddeleja (or spelling variants thereof).

I sure hope it likes Zone 10... I gave it a north-western exposure.. with a little shade in the morning

• trini1trini
    18 years ago

I recently bought this plant from a source that deals in rare plants from Asia. He also told me it was called Buddleia 'ege'. I thought he was pulling my leg and didn't want to give me the actual name. I researched it thinking it was buddleia asiatica, which I ordered from another nursery, but it has yet to arrive. So I cannot compare the two at this time.

• momiji79
    18 years ago

Hi the photo you sent, I have the same one in my garden. In Thailand it is known as B.paniculatum

I belive the asiatica version has much longer flowers, and the leaves are a lot longer too. They grow wild in the mountains north and north east of thailand. Have not had much luck growing them in Bangkok yet.

The plant you have, is very easy to propagate from cuttings (softwood), they can stand the heat and drought very well and the frgrance...wow!

Good luck to yours

• karmicrevival
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hi momiji,

thank you very much for the information!... and thank you for the good luck! despite my dog trying to dig it out (can you believe she picked that plant of all the ones I have)... it's now just flowered again after about a 10-day no-flower phase.

And yes -- the fragrance is Wow! I did something a little odd whe I planted it -- I added a little epsom salts to the soil... and some "dynamite" brand plant food (the nursery recommended the dynamite)... so maybe it will like living here afterall.

• karmicrevival
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, the buddeleja is now well over my head! And is flowering profusely... so I guess it did like the epsom salts start...

• fragrantgarden99
    17 years ago

Hello Karmicrevival:

What is the name of your nursery?

thanks.