Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monarda_gw

Is white wisteria more fragrant than purple?

monarda_gw
18 years ago

The standard of white wisteria (chinensis) was easily the most fragrant at the Philadelphia flower show this spring.

Am attaching a random blog I found with a beautiful picture.

http://www.prairiepoint.net/journal/archives/000295.html

Here is a link that might be useful: white wisteria

Comments (4)

• jimshy
    18 years ago

This was my first Philly show -- almost a religious experience! -- but I found it was hard to get a good sense of scents from plants that had been sitting inside in air conditioning for a while.

I don't know if there's a strong difference between white and blue, or that white clone was strongly scented, or if just that particular plant was happy and fragrant at the time.

BTW, you know asian wisterias can take years to flower? If you want instant gratification, get an older plant or get an american species like w. frutescens -- Nurseries Caroliniana has a sinensis cultivar that it claims flowers the first year.

Hope this helps!

Jim

• cweathersby
    18 years ago

To my nose there is a very strong difference between the two colors. White is more fragrant and in a more perfumy way. The purple is wonderfully fragrant, but not as much as the white!

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    18 years ago

I had not thought to compare the two. Both are heady fragrances right now!

The support for the white rotted away and I've let the purple mix in with it.
    I pruned away a truck load of excessive growth already and it has hardly leafed out.

Nell

• monarda_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Beautiful!