Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Logee's trip Sat., and I have no idea of what to get? Any idea's?

meyermike_1micha
10 years ago

I have many fragrant ones as you all know, but if you all compile a list of what plants WHAFF in the air, then I could get one that I do not have yet and would of never thought of..

Please give me a few names of what you know has powerful fragrance and I will so much reward that one with an extra plant I have, that is if I don't already have the one you recommend..

Thank you so so much friends!

Mike

Comments (44)

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Probable more of a question for some who who has actually been to Logess but Genista aetnensis ( Mount Etna broom) if you can find it fully hardy. Can take any soil but does best in the stony poor soils
    and is wonderfully fragrant got a AGM award from the The Royal Horticultural Society.
    Here is a large one in full flower but can be grown in pots

This post was edited by fragrant2008 on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 13:54

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Hi Mike!

So jealous you live so close to Logee's!
    Do you have any Angel Trumpets (Brugmansia)?
    Most waft. I love Charles Grimaldi. This year I'm also trying Super Nova.
    I actually have a shipment of plants from Logee's in the mail which should arrive Friday.
    I'm trying Randia ruiziana (Angel of the Night), Jasminum azoricum (to replace the one I had that died) and J. grandiflorum (single variety). Hoping all will waft when I get enough blooms. :)

-Robert

• roseyd
    10 years ago

Dont know why he asks and barely shops. I walked out of there with 6 plants, and mike had 2. And one was an easter cactus.... mike ... mike.., mike.... they dont smell, not even the white ones. :)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosey..lol
    Well, here you are. It's about time.
    Yeah but, you bought one!
    I am going to love it! Boy them huge ones were so pretty smelled so good, didn't they!?. Do you think I can remember the name of it as I sit here? ha

Robert..Ha..You really need to get on up here and go with us the next time we raid that place..You could literlly get lost in there. I thought I saw a monkey swinging in there, a few birds and downed trees..
    Boy that place smelled so good.
    There was a customer in there that got lost and she asked me how to get out..I told her to follow her nose and she still got lost...To many different plants with high fragrance at once threw her sense of direction off..lol

Yes, I did order one, a few months ago! I can't wait to get it. I actually got the one you suggested, just a bit more mature than what they sell on E-bay..You know me. I just could not wait for it to gain size..

Ooh boy..You do? I killed my last Randia..It died of some disease it came with..I was so upset on that one..I did see some in bloom but never thought to wiff them..What a dummy..

Please. Show and tell when you get them, will you?

Have a great day:-)))

Mike

• roseyd
    10 years ago

Robert, definitely you should come. Mike likes to put us to work... he finds these projects.... we show up and he got wes to lift rocks, uncover his koi pond, and goodness he'd have me working too, except his mom had to remind him I was a girl and should be free from so much manual and dirty tasks.

:) wes gave me an onion... or a fake onion... right now it just looks like a pot of dirt. I downgraded from last year when he gave me a stick. :) im happy to report that after months of watering the stick, it now has leaves. A crown of thorns that may some day bloom... they are all succulent challenges. I suspect he expects me to fail. Next march's logees trip, I may have flowers and an onion too!

• roseyd
    10 years ago

Robert, definitely you should come. Mike likes to put us to work... he finds these projects.... we show up and he got wes to lift rocks, uncover his koi pond, and goodness he'd have me working too, except his mom had to remind him I was a girl and should be free from so much manual and dirty tasks.

:) wes gave me an onion... or a fake onion... right now it just looks like a pot of dirt. I downgraded from last year when he gave me a stick. :) im happy to report that after months of watering the stick, it now has leaves. A crown of thorns that may some day bloom... they are all succulent challenges. I suspect he expects me to fail. Next march's logees trip, I may have flowers and an onion too!

10 years ago

Mike,

I hope my Randia ruiziana doesn't croak! Its leaves don't look that great but I'm just assuming it's the transition from living in a jungle greenhouse with monkeys swinging overhead to our cold house. ;)

I hope your brug doesn't disappoint you! I got my Super Nova and it really needs a bigger pot but I'm holding out until warm weather returns!

Rosey! So good to see you back on here!
    I'd love to visit Logee's with you guys someday. Heck, I'd even move some rocks over at Mike's place. :)
    I hope your roses are doing okay with all the snow you guys have been getting.
    My Zephirine Drouhin Rose has flower buds. I'm super excited to finally sniff this one! Course I had it down in the basement over the winter and then planted it last Thursday and of course didn't notice the flower buds until after the fact and now we've been having temps as low as 27 at night so I'm hoping my buds make it. :)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 9:41

• kandhi
    10 years ago

Robert,
    I love my Zephirine Drouhin Rose, it blooms for me every year without fail in May/June. With all the snow we have this year, I am not sure how it will be this year. I can sense the fragrance as soon as I open the door to my deck. This is a pic from last spring. Train the long canes horozontally to get more buds/blooms.

10 years ago

That is gorgeous, Kandhi!
    I planted mine on a trellis on the arbor with the Jasminum officinale. When it grows tall enough I'll try to train it to go across the arbor in hopes of more blooms.
    Now I really want to sniff this one! :)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 12:20

• true_blue
    10 years ago

Mike enjoy the trip. If you have time take some photos for us :-)
    The best way is to be methodic. Whenever, I go to a nursery, with or without a website, I make a list based on let's say, fragrance, wafting capacity etc.
    Then I divide my list in several categories:
    1)Must have
    2) Would love to have but have no place for it,
    3) One day maybe if I move to the tropics,
    4) Never
    5) Stinks
    6) Etc ;-).
    I've noticed that helps me to be focused, otherwise, I'll be overwhelmed.

You can always gets Robert a mali pikul :P

Here is a link that might be useful: Logee's fragrant

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Mike,

Bumer is it too late to give you my my list? LOL. I'm debating whether or not to try Belle of India again and/or another Jasmine.

So what did you ended up going home with??

Kandhi, that's stunning!! What does she smell like?

• true_blue
    10 years ago

That's really lovely Kandhi.
    Zephirine was my favourite rose too, Robert. I loved the hot pink color, it's thornlessness and a scent which will make your heart sing :-)
    It can become quite big as you sure know.
    But in my zone it was too high maintenance (I had to protect the canes each winter) combined with the fact that it's not remontant, I had to part with it...
    I suggest planting a mid to late flowering clematis for afterwards. If you still have some space. There are lots of fragrant ones, which I'm sure you're aware of ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Zéphirine Drouhin Rose photos

10 years ago

Okay, I just ordered Clematis 'Sugar-Sweet Lilac', the one that's supposed to have an orange blossom scent.
    You're a bad influence, TB! ;)

-Robert

• kandhi
    10 years ago

No-clue , It's a strong old fashioned bourbon rose fragrance. It's so pleasant and with the countless blooms it gives every spring it's worth having one of these.

true-blue described the fragrance above and I agree to that.. It blooms heavily in early spring and sometime late summer with few blooms. I do have a white clematis that complements the pink blooms of this rose plant.

{{gwi:786727}}

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Robert how big is your yard anyway?! So jealous that you're able to buy whatever you want because you have the space! I have to cut my plumeria collection from 80 to 40 just so I can add a few Peonies!

I think I have room for some Jasmines too since those can be grown in pots. I don't know anything about Clematis so I will have to check. Although I do have a side that's mostly shaded until May and then it's mostly sunny so I'm not sure what to plant there!

Kandhi that sounds so lovely! And the color is beautiful!! Thank you for sharing that!

10 years ago

Lynn,

Come on! I have a small yard. This clematis is a small vine. I'm sure you can find a spot for it (unless your heat kills it!). ;)

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seriously!!!lol..I have yet to come back and follow up..I am sooooooooooooooooo sorry folks...I just noticed and about to close up shop here.

I'll let you all know what I ot and how fun it was, no punt intended, when I get to come back here..

Nite:-)

• true_blue
    10 years ago

Robert I actually had forgotten about that particular clematis, in 3 years you'll let us know;-)
    I was thinking more of a clematis, which flowers later. I was under the impression that the Jasmine flowers in May - June. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    1) Mandshurica 6 feet - white
    2) Flammula - white
    3) Rubromarginata - White & purple - Heavenly wafting almond
    All three flower in mid summer.

No-clue, I believe you can grow the Montanas. They are very fragrant.

This post was edited by true-blue on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 21:53

10 years ago

TB, I'm ignoring your post so I don't rush out and buy another one! Laugh.
    Yea, I'm sure I should have gotten a clematis that blooms later but I was too intrigued by the orange blossom scented one. :)
    I can't remember which month the hardy jasmine blooms.
    I'd have to look at last year's 'blooming in' threads to find out.
    Dang. Keep looking at the third clematis. Dang you! ;)

-Robert

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

I don't know anything about Clematis... at least not yet! Maybe I should ignore TB's post too! LOL.

Robert I swear you must have a "Secret Garden"! Wouldn't it be magical if we all have a garden where we can just plant whatever we want and it would just magically fit? Ok this is me talking after 3 hours of sleep. ;)

• true_blue
    10 years ago

Robert, I don't want you to get another clematis, honest :-)
    I can write a book, well a post to be more precise about my misadventures with my arbor ;-)
    So, that's why, I suggested other later flowering clematis, in case the jasmine flowers in spring.
    I did a research, and it seems in your zone, jasmine should flower from summer to fall, so you're covered.
    As for the clematis I suggested, the 3rd one (rubromarginata) is a tricky one. As it likes excellent drainage. I got two a couple of years ago, one died. The one that survived, however flowered and for a couple of weeks the deck smelled of almonds. It has lovely dainty flowers, more like a cloud of stars....

I haven't sniffed the mandshurica. Mine is too small yet. Flammula isn't hardy in my zone, but is one of the parents of rubromarginata, which can be difficult to find.

I'm sure your arbor will be lovely, you have the king and queen of fragrance there, rose & jasmine. Who would want more?

10 years ago

Ha ha. Thanks though my J. officinale really only blooms once for me. Maybe a few blooms here and there but nothing like J. grandiflorum. :)

-Robert

• true_blue
    10 years ago

Robert, now, I'm confused. Is this the plant you've got?
    When does yours flower?

Here is a link that might be useful: Jasminum officinale

This post was edited by true-blue on Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 14:22

10 years ago

J. officinale and J. grandiflorum can be very confusing, especially since they sometimes graft J. grandiflorum onto the rootstock of J. officinale to make it hardier.
    I believe Tovah Martin covers this in her book The Essence of Paradise: Fragrant Plants for Indoor Gardens.
    Anyway I have both. J. officinale I got from Pepper's Greenhouse and has been growing in the ground for about 3 years now I believe?
    I'd have to go through old posts to see when it blooms the most here but I do know in my climate it's not an everbloomer.
    I have two varities of J. grandiflorum from Logee's. The double and the single variety. Grandiflorum is not as cold hardy so I grow them in pots and keep them down in the basement when it's too cold. They have a much longer bloom period and with enough light and heat I believe are pretty much always blooming.

Does this help? :)

-Robert

10 years ago

I did a search and found my big J. officinale bloom period last year was towards the end of May.
    Who knows if the rose and clematis will be blooming at that time or not!
    I love how we've hijacked Mike's Logee's trip thread. ;)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Jasminum officinale blooming in May for me

• true_blue
    10 years ago

It's funny Robert, I just found the link you posted ;-)
    Thanks for the detailed explanation about both jasmines.
    I got it.
    However, It seems your arbor will be without scent, from July onwards, I'm sure you'll manage something creative :-)

There is a beautiful picture of rubromarginata at the end of this thread.....

Sorry Mike for hijacking your thread, I'm sure you're preparing a wow list....

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis rubromarginata scroll to the end of thread

This post was edited by true-blue on Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 16:35

10 years ago

You are such an enabler! Laugh.
    That is a lovely photo though it looks like you'll need a lot of space for that one! :)

I could use additional fragrant vines for the arbor but normally when things get hot I'm too focused on sniffing the jasmines, brunfelsias, brugmansias, plumerias, etc. to notice.
    Plus this year I plan on growing some non scented flowering vines for the hummingbirds on the arbor. :)

Man. I am so ready for warm weather so everything can be outside again!

-Robert

• true_blue
    10 years ago

Me, enabler ?!!!

Yes, it can become quite big.
    That would be lovely. Cypress vine?
    Post some photos ...

10 years ago

Yup. Cardinal vine, scarlet runner beans, Spanish Flag, etc.
    I bought a lot of seeds this year. Laugh.

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My god this thread got busy!! lol..

I have some catching up to do..I'll be back friends..
    I am hoping no one has enabled me here agan..lol

MIke

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seriously!!!? Folks, what's up with these roses now? I never thought to consider a VERY fragrant rose added to my garden, well at least the way you all speak of it..lol

I have some reading up to do on this one.

Robert..You are welcome to come anytime, hopefully next year. You should plan a trip to meet us and have fun. I'll even but you a couple of plants to make it worth your while:-)

Trueblue..Yes, you, and enabler..lol Everything you mention sounds good, that is what I like about your posts, and of course, along with everyonele's here.
    I don't call it highjacking, just a different spin on things and yet still a great conversation..

I don't know anything about Clematis either..All I know is that I have three..One that flowers loyally every year and two that drop droop just as soon as the buds want to open along with leaf wilt..This is very frustrating..

Ok, time to look up the plants Trueblue is talking about and see if I can find one of those rose bushes..ha

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok guys and gals..I just bought one..I hope I am not disappointed..lol

Mike

• true_blue
    10 years ago

Mike, Congrats. What did you buy rose or clematis? If so which one?
    Yes roses are quite a different story. There are so many and it's a different story. I will write later.
    As for your logee's visit, if you have a lot of fragrant plants, either go for something spectacular, unusual, or go for several things you've always wanted to try....
    I don't think anyone is an enabler, but ourselves :-)

10 years ago

Yes, what did you get? A rose or a clematis? :)

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don't laugh , but both. The ones you spoke of. The red roses all along the deck and that most fragrant clemitas. Lol yup. I'll let you know when they arrive. I can't wait.

Mike

• kandhi
    10 years ago

Mike, great selection.. rose and clematis. They go perfecltly next to a deck or arbor or fence and you don't need to maintain them indoors :) Here is another pic that I posted before on this I guess. My rose/clematis from last year or year before.

"

• true_blue
    10 years ago

Congrats Mike. So you bought Zephirine Drouhin rose and Rubromarginata Clematis?

So how was your trip at Logee's?

Kandhi, That's a lovely picture. Is the clematis Duchess of Edinburgh?

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trueblue....Thank you so much..I just hope I don't have a problem with wilt on my Clematis..I'm also hoping it is pretty much hardy and disease resistent..If not, I am in trouble..lol
    Do you recomend a certain way of planting it?

Oh, Logees' was bearable..I did go with Rose and Wes..lol
    That place always smells so good and so much to chosse from...It's funny though..Every time I go there, I am made to realize I already have most of the ones they have..ha..I am always on the prowl for something new, different and a plant that whaffs through the air!
    It was so warm in there too while it was cold outside..Sheesh, If I could only work there.

Kandhi..Thanks...I love those roses..I am also getting one of those...I think I will put it under my arbor...Cab't wait.
    Do you have o treat them for fungus or mold during the summer at all? Powdery mildew?

MIke

• true_blue
    10 years ago

Mike rest assured, wilt is normally associated with big flowered clematis. I know of people growing it in zone 3. I think the key to this clematis is protection from winter winds and excellent drainage .

Mine is against a wall and under a ton of ice and snow, so it should be fine. I have also a well draining soil.

Some recommend planting the clematis crown at least 2" below the soil level.

Happy you enjoyed your trip to Logee's.
    I let kandhi tell you about spraying. I don't spray in my garden. But I think you should be ok, with Zephirine.

• kandhi
    10 years ago

Mike I do not spray anything on my rose plant. It does have black spots problem in hot humid climate. The plant is too big to do any spraying.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trueblue, thank you very much for that..I was so worried that I wasted my money since I do have one, and thank God only one that wilts every year, just as the buds are about to open...I wish there was a spray of some sort that could cure that..
    I had no idea of wilt until I saw my local nursery selling 'wilt proof' clematis...

The other stuff I can do..It's going in my driveway under and arbor..I will take a pic of it once planted...
    Are you sure you plant it two inches below the soil level? It won't rot?

Kandhi...Thanks a lot! I always got black spots on my roses until I came across a product that I used last summer..It was the first time I never got any disease of any kind on any of my plants..I was so excited.

It's cloudy and drizzly again with temps in the high 30's//SO DEPRESSING!

Mike

• kandhi
    10 years ago

Mike, The way zephrene blooms in may/june is worth the wait every year for me. It does bloom later in Sept, Oct but not as much as in may. What is that product you use for black spot treatment on roses that worked for you?

• true_blue
    10 years ago

Mike, I'm quoting gardengal from the clematis forum, on another thread. She's one of the most helpful and knowledgeable people on Gardenweb. : " the root crown should be planted 4-6 inches below the soil surface. This helps to generate multiple stems form the base as well as encourage a strong, healthy root system."

As for roses, I have the tendency to plant the bud union of tender roses at this depth. I know Zephirine is hardy to zone 5. If you have adequate snow cover, it should be fine, If in doubt ask about it on the Antique Rose Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Rose Forum

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Mike, you should definitely be planting the crown of your clematis about 4 inches lower in the ground. What happens is the crown is protected (in my cold area), the stems grow roots and it creates a MUCH fuller plant as more stems grow from all the rooted branches below ground. Works really well for me.