Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fenius

what are your season's first blooms?

fenius
12 years ago

There's nothing like waking up to find new blooms around the house in the Spring.. Here is my tiare's first bloom at last!!

This is a cutting I stole from a London yard near Kew gardens this January (To owner: I hope you didn't notice if you are reading this!) After a lot of surfing I concluded it must be Choisya ternata..Any objections??

And even if they are not fragrant, some anemones and ornithogalum from the balkony make beautiful breakfast company..

Want to share yours??

Comments (17)

• kandhi
    12 years ago

Michelia skinneriana blooming, fragrance is like ripe bananas.

Brunfelsia americana has been blooming since january. Fragrance is fresh and very strong.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    12 years ago

M. x foggii 'Jack Fogg' has been blooming since Dec.

M. figo has been blooming since Jan. and still throwing up flowers

J. sambac 'Grand Duke of Tuscany' first one this year. Usually doesn't flower until later in the Spring.

Rondeletia splendens

Add R. splendens to my list of disappointment. I can't detect any scent at all...

• olympia_gardener
    12 years ago

WOW, Beautiful flowers. I can't wait for my Grand Duke of Tuscany to bloom.
    My season's first bloom is Star Jasmine. It is in full bloom now. It fills the air with sweet scent in the evening.
    I have sweet olive bloomed all winter long into spring; Meyer lemon bloom froms time to time; One of my sweet scented " Sharry Baby" orchids bloomed for couple of months, "twinkles" bloomed for a month or so, and Catt. bloomed almost three months on and off. I have another pot of "Sharry Baby" is going to bloom in two weeks. A sweet scented white Catt. "New Dawn" is going to bloom in a month. After that, the list will be too long .

• fenius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Your flowers look great!!..I just ordered a michelia figoXdoltsopa.. What do you think of the scent of all the different figo types?? including the Jack Fogg? I'm vey new to michelias!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

M. figo on a warm humid evening covered with flowers is hard to beat and en masse can even rival the fragrance of M. alba. It is more than just the scent of bananas, I can sense apples too and it's just diabetes-inducing sweetness wafting in the air (very different from M. alba). But the scent power of M. figo does not remain constant, I guess this is due to environmental factors.

The interspecific crosses aren't as fragrant I believe. And they don't all smell exactly the same. I describe Jack Fogg as smelling like cinnamon eggnog and I've read the others have a scent like allspice or cloves. I wouldn't recommend 'Jack Fogg' for it's fragrance alone, the scent pales in comparison to M. figo.

• fenius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And what about the skinneriana? What is the fragrance like?
    And compared to the figoXdoltsopa I ordered?

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Magnolia (Michelia) x foggii is the grex name for the interspefic hybrid betwen M. figo and M. doltsopa (figo x doltsopa); the selections include 'Jack Fogg', 'Bubbles', 'Mixed Up Miss', and 'Allspice'. Sorry I didn't make it clear earlier, but this grex has offsprings with varying scents. 'Allspice' is said to smell like it's namesake and other clones are said to smell like cloves. There is also an unnamed selection that I read on a nursery catalog said to have a very unpleasant scent to it. As for the one you got, I can't say for sure, it may be well scented like M. figo or turn out to be mediocre. Let's hope for the best.

Some botanist consider M. skinneriana to be a variety of M. figo. And in cultivation it is noted for being more floriferous than M. figo. I believe they smell the same, if not close.

• fenius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, ok! Thank you,this was very helpful, I will let you know when I verify the scent!

• kemistry
    11 years ago

M skinneriana holds its flowers longer than the regular M. figo and seems to be more vigorous. :)

Here's my current bloomer:

{{gwi:786758}}
    Chloranthus spicatus is, hands down, my favorite plant to grow. Very easy to care for and also very eager to bloom. The scent is similar/(same?) to aglaia odorata's. I love catching its fragrance on a breezy, sunny day.

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Kemistry, Your Chloranthus spicatus is very nice. Where did you get it? I would like to get one of this too sometime.

• kemistry
    11 years ago

I got the cuttings from a generous GWeber on here last year. Check back with me in the summer for some cuttings! You'll love this plant. :)

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Kemistry, Thanks a lot. I will check back with you in the summer for some cuttings.

• fenius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi again,
    just survived an 8 beaufort sailing trip and came home to these!! Purple seems purpler, pink seems pinker etc!

This is an unexpected visitor from table crumbs of poppyseed that ended up in my planter!

This is my lemon tree from amalfi!

bells and raspberry..

• elfmagi
    11 years ago

fenius would you care to reveal where you ordered your michelia figoXdoltsopa. And musaboru same question as where you ordered your M. x foggii 'Jack Fogg' from? I thank both of you in advance.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Hi Elfmagi, I ordered 'Jack Fogg' from Cistus Nursery in Oregon. Unfortunately, they no longer list this in their catalog. Their inventory changes a little every year and they have other Magnolia (Michelia) varieties currently.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cistus Nursery

• elfmagi
    11 years ago

Musaboru, thank-you so much for responding. I will keep an eye on their catalog and see if I may luck out at some point. BTW I have been seeing some of your latest posts and I have to say I am absolutely jealous of your fragrant plants. Perusing the fragrant plants forum is positively making me subtract funds from the christmas account and adding them to the plants account.Have a great weekend.

• fenius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi elfmagi,
    I am in greece so I doubt a european nursery would be of any use to you, but in any case I found mine at hodnik in France.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA