Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
savy4_gw

michelia alba died or alive

savy4
10 years ago

I michelia alba for 2 years now. This winter is so cold half of the tree is dieing. So, I cut off the dieing part. But I don't know if it is still alive or not? I let the pot completely dried out than I watered. Can some please tell me if my alba is still alive?

Thanks,
Savy4

Comments (14)

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Savy4,

I'm so sorry to hear this! Can you post some photos?

I have two Albas and both are in the ground. I bought both last spring so I only had them for one year. Anyway, one is doing well and flowering and the other looked like she was going to die. Then all of a sudden, she dropped all the leaves and then now sprouting some new ones? She's definitely way behind her sister though... so I honestly don't have a clue why? The one that's doing ok is in FULL sun where as the one that's struggling is in part sun. She gets full sun later in the spring/summer but up until now her trunk has been in the shade.

Where are you located and how did you store her in the winter?? Did you do anything different this winter compare to the last? I'm still learning so I don't really know too much yet. But maybe others can offer some assistance. But pics would be helpful.

Keep us posted.

Lynn

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Keep the roots moist at all times.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

No offense bboy... but if that was the ONLY criteria then ALL my plants would be thriving and in perfect condition! If only gardening was that simple we would all be experts. :(

• savy4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you No-Clue for your response. Yes, I will take the pic tomorrow and I will load it in. And oh, bboy yes I did watered it well last night.

Savkim

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

I've had the related champaca and 'Sinuan' arrive nearly dessicated. All leaves totally brown and dead to the graft point but the base or stock was still 'alive', you can see if you scratch off a layer and there is greenish tissue. A few weeks of nursing had them sending off new sprouts near the base but they eventually succumbed to fungus I guess. I think you should keep it humid conditions but not to the point of it being too wet. I kept the humidity high by encasing the plant in a kitchen trash bag but I think fungus was the killer; It being too moist in there.

• savy4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi musaboru,

Yes, I did tried that out for about 2 weeks it didn't show any new growth. But yes when I scratch the trunk of the tree I did see some green. So,I think at this point I'm gonna wait until it really gets warmer. I have it inside the house right now. But last year by this time it starting to have new growth but this year I didn't see it yet. However this year is colder than last year though.

Thanks,
    Saveth

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Yes, this winter STINKS!!! Mines is still in a very cold room with no heat doing nothing...It is just sitting there. Last year it was loaded with blooms. I miss that.

I think I let it get to cold and wet last fall which started it on a downward path. The leaves kept getting attacked by black spots, disease and would fall off in a while.
    Then the new growth would start to grow and by the time it was half grown up, attcked again and fall off. I even had twigs die off. It looks bare with just new leaf growth on the very tips...Disgusting and depressing..

I sprayed it with disease stuff and systemically watered it and it seems to have done the trick. Now, now I just wait for warm weather like you so I can see good growth and pray it does not die before then..

Let me know how it does, ok?

Mike

• savy4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the pic of the plant.

Savy4

• savy4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another pic.

Savy4

• savy4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just one more.

Savy4

• savy4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last night before I took the pictures I cut off some dead parts again. So,by now it only has about 6 inches left on there without counting the bottom part of the plant. I think its on its way to dieing.

Savy4

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

My goodness...I hope that does not happen to mine..They can be expensive..I paid 59 dollars for mine two years ago..I wonder if they are prone to rot or disease after a period of time in pots..I pray not.

I feel bad for you:-(

I hope it makes it.

MIke

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear about your Michelia Savy4 i have had them die back before because of cold damage i always cut them back to live growth then past the top with a little captan! as they tend to be prone to more die back and then mist the branch /trunk on fairly regular basis and keep it some where warm with good light It might still have a chance

• savy4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope so. I cut it back to the green part already.

Savy4