Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

Please describe Tuberose fragrance

No-Clue
10 years ago

Hi there,

I love plants/flowers with a nice fragrance so I was told by many to try Tuberose. Unfortunately, I can't just walk into a store to do the sniff test and I'm running out of yard space so I have to be very picky with what I bring home. With that said...for those of you who are growing Tuberose how would you describe the scent?

My top 7 Favorite fragrances so far in random order are:

Aglaia Odorata
Ylang Ylang
Michelia Alba
Osmanthus Fragrans Sweet Olive tree
Plumeria
Freesia
Texas Mountain Laurel tree

Thank you very much for your help!
Lynn

Comments (12)

• phoebe368
    10 years ago

To me it smells like gardenia and jasmine all in one flower. It doesn't take up a lot of space as it is grown from a bulb. The single petal flower variety is A LOT easier to grow than multi-petaled "the Pearl" variety. They grow and multiply quickly.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Lynn,

You might find cut flowers of tuberoses at a florist shop or even at grocery stores. Our Whole Foods often carries them as cut flowers.
    That way you can sniff 'em for yourself without having to grow the plant though like Phoebe said they don't take up that much space.
    I agree with Phoebe's description though I'd throw in coconut as well. :)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 17:28

• socks
    10 years ago

It's a pretty strong fragrance which you can smell from a few feet away. I love it.

• kemistry
    10 years ago

To me it smells like coconut and gardenia.. My favorite!

(Hi Robert! :))

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Ha! I was wondering if tuberoses would get Kemistry to break his silence! ;)

-Robert

• kandhi
    10 years ago

I agree with all above responses..it's mixture of gardenia & jasmine. I find single variety much stronger with fragrance than double variety

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Phoebe - thank you for suggesting the Single Petal variety! Since it's my first time planting bulbs anything EASY is ideal!

Robert - You sold me with coconut! No need to sniff now I will definitely this these a try!

Socks - great smelling flowers what wafts is my kind of flowers.

Kendhi - for some reasons I can't seem to find the Single variety so I just bought some on Ebay. Your flowers are stunning!! I love the pure white. And to think they smell great too what a beauty! Thank you for sharing the photos!

Kemisty - thank you for coming out of hiding! Gardenia and coconut sounds just perfect. BTW my Vietnamese gardenias that I planted in the shade and totally neglected all winter have doubled in size and are full of buds now. :)

Last but not least... I found the "Pearl" bulbs at the local nursery so I bought two. I also ordered a box of the Single petal bulbs that everyone seems to like better on Ebay. So those should be here next week.

So now that I got these two home I'm at a loss as to what to do with them!

{{gwi:786878}}
    1. Do I separate all the pieces or just plant the whole clump together??

2. Also which end faces up?

3. How deep do I bury these things?

4. How far do I space them?

5. After planting do I water them right away?

Thanks so much!

• kemistry
    10 years ago

Lol Lynn, i like your enthusiasm :)) You will plant them in the ground right? Let me link you to this page then:

http://www.tntuberoses.com/tuberose-growing-tips.php

I don't know if it matters but I always soak my bulbs/seeds in warm water for a few hours before planting. Just plant the whole clumps; the pointy end should face up.

I need to buy some tuberose bulbs this weekend; last year i planted them too late in the season.

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

I really need to find the single variety this year as the double pearl was very disappointing
    Good luck with yours Lynn hope they grow and flower well for you :)

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kemistry- you and Robert better not be pulling my leg by saying "coconut" scent! Lol. Yeah I have a major weakness for fragrant flowers so it doesn't take much to entice me. ðÂÂÂ

Now how do I soak the clumps? Do I submerge them completely with warm water? Also I'm at zone 9b or 10... Day time temps low 70's and night time low 50's can I plant them in the ground now?

Fragrant- I ordered the single variety from Ebay. I will post pics when I get them. Can you tell me how your double was disappointing? I only have two of this type and more of the single.

Thank you!

• kemistry
    10 years ago

You will love the smell of tuberose. I promise! Yeah, just place the bulbs in a bowl of warm water. With your temp I think you can plant it now. Low in the 50's? I'm so envious!

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Disappointing Fragrance wise Lynn it only had the one flower spike and was very late in the year round end of september but there was no real fragrance at all! not like i was expecting after all the hype and it was not just my nose had my father and next door neigbour come round and they said the same.
    Maybe it was just the time of year all these ppl can not be wrong :P