Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

One of my gardenia's is FINALLY flowering! Smells so good!

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

I thought I would share one of my best plants...The buds have been swelling for weeks and finally with the length of sunlight, they are responding well. Yahoo.!

This is my braided one I've been working with for over a year, while the other plain ones are still making buds.

I took it outside to clean it off now that it was finally warm enough and noticed two completely different looking buds too!

{{gwi:78645}}

{{gwi:78646}}

{{gwi:78647}}

{{gwi:78648}}

Two different looking flowers on my same plants. Last year I did not have this.

{{gwi:78649}}

{{gwi:78650}}

Comments (15)

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Could it have cross polinated, and created a hybrid?

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Could it have cross polinated, and created a hybrid?

• fenius
    11 years ago

Well done mike!!I love to see blooming gardenias, it reassures me of my plant delirium having a point!! they look so ....indisputable!

• fragrant2008
    11 years ago

One of my favorite fragrances :) congrats on the flowers and on the nice healthy looking plant

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rosey, Fenius, and Fragrant2008, thank you!

It gets easier each year with caring for these beauties!!!

It has a special meaning to me because back when I broke my heel, I couldn't keep up with my other huge tree one and I had to toss it due to a spider mite invasion so hard to care for, or even catch, that I just about cried and threw it in the dumpster!

This is the only other tree I have half it's side and it's braided. The other I have had for 5 years and it would give me the nices flowers. Now, I have this one to remind me that not all was lost.

The key is to spray for mites weather you see them or not. Pretend they exist and treat anyway.
    Then to never let them dry to wilt and use a very porous mix. This one has already outgrown its pot.

Fertilizing is all about timing after a long lesson.
    I have found that pulling back on fertilizer to almost a complete stop for the shortest of days, then slowly incline as the days get longer works wonders!

Keeping it vivid green is nevr a problem as long as I use 'vinegar' the key, and a good ferilizer to compliment that.

Thanks again! I have others too just starting to bud out and I will share those soon. I have a Tahitian one that I can wait to show you:-)

Mike

• fragrant2008
    11 years ago

" I use 'vinegar'" thats a new one on me :P is that used as some kind of foliar spray? please explain more
    i might have to try it on my kleim's hardy gardenia

• roseyd
    11 years ago

i don't understand the vinegar reference either. ? Do you spray them with it as a deterent for bugs? Or is it added to the water to make the dirt sour? how much do you add of it? And what does it do???

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Rosey and Fragrant!

It is a must that I use vinegar in my water solution so as to water with an acidic solution instead of one to neutral and high in pH.

You see, in most cities such as mine, the pH of my water runs as high as 8.0 - 8.7.
    Using vinegar brings the pH down and temporarily makes all the nutrients available to my plants that otherwise would be held up the the mix from pH that is too high.

So I use one tbsp per gallon of water when I start to see the leaves on my plants loose their luster and vivid green.

My plants would otherwise be yellow and much malnourished if I did no do so and most likely die.

Living in the Caribbean and having friends that are growers of gardenia and citrus in major nurseries that provide the most greenest plants I have ever seen have taught me this secret.

Of course they use a different product for industrial purposes to lower their pH water solution but vinegar is a great and cheap sustitute for the home hobbyist.

It would be a good idea to check with your water supplier to find out what the pH of your water is.
    For you Rosey, I wouldn't be surprised if it was over 8.0 and that was a major cause of decline in vigor of some of your plants, especially gardenia.

I hope this helps!

By the way, which is good for you to go to Logee's?
    This Saturday or the 4th on of this month?

Mike

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

not fair :(

That is all

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike..Some day!!!! Now I feel real bad buddy!

By the way, I can't believe the amount of DIFFERENT blossoms I am getting on my tree! I am so excited pal!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Dont feel bad buddy. I am thrilled for you and enjoy seeing your success. It actually keeps me motivated to keep trying. That is cool how its doing that.

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Morning Mike and Others,

Mike, your Gardenia is amazingly beautiful.
    Did you say it's grafted?

One flower looks like 'August', the other 'Carnation'. Carnation isn't the right name, but its shape resembles a Carnation. :)

I too apply vinegar to acidic-loving plants. Soon, they'll get a dose.
    Now that days are longer, 'Thank God,' it's also time to fertilize.

Anyway, you found a true gem. A Flowering Cocktail Tree. lol. Toni

• wjp4140
    11 years ago

Actually he said it's a braid. Could it be more than 1 variety? You said that it has bloomed before? All trunks? That might be the answer.

• wjp4140
    11 years ago

Actually he said it's a braid. Could it be more than 1 variety? You said that it has bloomed before? All trunks? That might be the answer.

• wjp4140
    11 years ago

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County