Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happ_gw

Vallaris glabra-Breadflower tree/Sweet Coconut

happ
19 years ago

I am interested in an apocynaceae [hoya/plumeria/allamanda/etc] species, Vallaris Glabra referred to as "Bread Flower" Smoked Sweet Coconut. Doesn't that sound delicious?

Attempted to order this plant from Aloha nursery/Oceanside but they have none at this time.

I understand their special fragrance comes from inflorescence among the branches. Anyone familiar with valaris glabra?

happ

Comments (4)

• jimshy
    19 years ago

I don't know about this species, but I suggest you do a bit of research on the nursery you mentioned before ordering -- many people, including myself, have not been happy with the size and quality of their plants at the prices they charge, although they do have a lot of species that no one else carries.

Jim

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

Happ, a couple of years ago, I ordered a Ylang Ylang tree, Cananga odorata, from Aloha Tropicals. They sent me a Ylang Ylang vine, Artabotrys hexapetalus, instead. When I emailed them about the error, they said I could keep the Ylang Ylang vine, and they would send me a Ylang Ylang tree right away. Well, not knowing any better, I took their word that the plant I received was in fact a Cananga odorata, and the leaves did look similar to pictures I had seen. About two years later, I was able to get it correctly identified. They had sent me a Vallaris glabra and not a Cananga odorata. Shortly after it set buds, it died. AT has repeatedly sent out poorly rooted cuttings, most of which don't survive the shipping process. I agree with JimShy. Try to find it somewhere else. I would check Royal Palm Enterprises, Natural Selections, and Gardino's Nursery.

• happ
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for candid feedback and I know Clare as a reliable source of information. My sense is that Aloha may have been a poor choice. Communication follow-up has been unsatisfactory on my order of several tropical plants [minus the vallaris glabra that is currently out of stock]. I ordered the following plants:

Jasminum Sambac (Bel of India)
    "Tipu Tipuana"
    Microsorium Scolopendria Plypodium "Laua'e Fern"
    Murraya Exotica "Orange Jasmine"
    Areca Catechu "Betal Nut Palm"

Hope the delivered plants will be the correct species.

happ

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

Happ, thanks for the vote of confidence:-) I didn't know that you had ordered from them already. I wish you the best with them, and I'll cross my fingers for you. If they disappoint, Logee's has the sambac and exotica. You can also find them at Green Thumb/Green Arrow if you have one near you. The Tipuana tipu is a gorgeous tree which can be started easily from seed if you can find some. Green Thumb has that one too.