Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivvarble

Is it possible to grow lavender in zone 8B?

VivVarble
10 years ago

I recently found a spectacular local nursery and picked up two fabulous pink jasmine plants. I asked if they had any lavender and they lady told me it doesn't do well here. I'm in SE Texas, north of the Beaumont area. I would really LOVE to have some lavender out in the back. I haven't been successful in finding much information on the internet and I figured I would ask the pros. Thanks in advance for any help.

~Viv

Comments (6)

• princesspea
    10 years ago

Did the lady tell you any reason for lavender not doing well there? It is a very adaptable plant in my experience, growing from dry sunny mediterranean to damp chilly British isles climates. I have grown it from swampy (with proper drainage) to salty seasides to hot dry and windy areas along the entire west coast. Maybe it's the soil chemistry?
    Try asking a lavender farm, like Goodwin Creek nursery if they have more cultural information. There are many types.

Pea

• princesspea
    10 years ago

Did the lady tell you any reason for lavender not doing well there? It is a very adaptable plant in my experience, growing from dry sunny mediterranean to damp chilly British isles climates. I have grown it from swampy (with proper drainage) to salty seasides to hot dry and windy areas along the entire west coast. Maybe it's the soil chemistry?
    Try asking a lavender farm, like Goodwin Creek nursery if they have more cultural information. There are many types.

Pea

• VivVarble
    Original Author
    10 years ago

She didn't give any specific reason, just said they don't do well here. I'd probably have it in a container since it needs good drainage because our yard can be a soggy mess. I'm still searching for more info on growing it in my area. Thanks for your reply :)

• princesspea
    10 years ago

I had good success in a soggy mess yard covered with little water springs every winter, in Seattle, by planting it at the top of a retaining wall- good drainage is indeed key. Nice terra cotta pots worked in the other parts of the yard.
    Pea

• true_blue
    10 years ago

Actually French and Spanish Lavenders are both suitable for zones 8 & 9.
    See if this thread regarding the soil for lavender is helpful...

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil for lavender

• greentiger87
    9 years ago

The lady was right, it gets too hot and humid here for regular lavenders. USDA zones are really just about frost dates - they don't take into account the incredibly hot summers we have. Common lavenders often won't make it through the summer.

The exceptions are "fern leaf lavender" (Lavandula multifida) cultivars.

Two other lavenders designated "flameproof" by the Dallas Arboretum will also probably work here, but I haven't tried them personally:

Lavender stoechas - Laveanna series
    Lavender stoechas - Silver Anouk