Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats a good lavender for zone 5

Posted by filix z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 4, 07 at 16:41

Hello. I tried some years ago and didn't have much luck. I would like to try again. Thanks. Filix

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats a good lavender for zone 5

English Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) is hardy to your zone but you are on the border line, so mulching and drainage is essential to get the plants through the winter months. Lavender prefers gritty soils, and does not perform well in heavy clays. If you have to many problems with hardiness try potting some up and overwintering it in a warmer place, like a basement.

o

• Posted by mare2 5bSt.Louis (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 11, 07 at 16:17

I'm far from an expert, but here's what I've found (although my area has technically been changed to Zone 6). I think Munstead is reputed to be the most hardy. Also Hidcote. That said, I don't like those since they seem to flop around here in a slow and miserable death that seems to last about 2-3 years. Of course, we have hot, humid summers. I like Provence best so far. It might be borderline in Zone 5, but I'd still try it, especially if you can find a cheap one out there. Grosso is good, too, but my understanding is that it's a little less hardy than Provence. Hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Good luck!
'Mare

o

Thankyou very much. I will look at all of those.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here