Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Michelia Alba disease

Posted by ctvu none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 16:52

Hi All,

We bought two of them 2 years ago, they were very healthy, large leaves, more branches and getting tall. And they were separated in different house, about last April 2012 one tree started getting dots on the leaves almost whole tree as seen below, we thought it would be OK to put them in one house which we did, and the second tree is getting the same which is telling me it is some kind of disease that can transmit from one to another :(. We decided to get rid of all affected leaves, but the young leaves still have the issue.
The good thing is that they are still alive and flowers too.
Not quite sure to get rid of it.
Any help/ idea would be appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Michelia Alba disease

So sorry to hear about your trees.
Looks like spider mite damage to me.
Have you inspected the underside of the leaves for webbing?
Spraying Neem oil helps.

-Robert

o

• Posted by ctvu none (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 4:01

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your response, I did check if there was any insects or something suspicious, but no sign of insects nor web.
Regards

o

Perhaps some sort of leaf fungus? It doesn't look like spidermite damages to me. For preventive measure I would trim off the affected leaves and spray the whole plant with neem oil as suggested by Robert.

A solution of water/rubbing alcohol + neem oil is best. (1 pint of hot water, 1/2 teaspoon non-antibacterial soap , 1 teaspoon neem oil, and 1 pint of rubbing alcohol.)

Do this once every 5 days for about 2 weeks. Then monthly. For your monthly spray you can skip the neem oil. Michelia alba is tough so don't worry too much.

o

• Posted by ctvu none (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 6:23

Thank you for your help kemistry,
I shall find the equivalent stuff and give it a go, since I live in Australia.

Once again much appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here