Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lan_uk

Bouvardia Longiflora - where is the fragrant?

Lan_UK
18 years ago

I just bought a Bouvardia Longiflora. I was so happy to see flowers on the plant. I was looking forward to the "sublime" sweet smell. However, there was no fragrant coming from the plant at all. So disappointed.

Is it meant to be a fragrant plant? If yes - where is the fragrant?

Comments (9)

• jimshy
    18 years ago

Do you have it in direct sun? I think this one needs to have warm, sunny, and humid conditions for the best effect. Also, I believe it might be more fragrant in the evening than during the day -- try sniffing at different times.

Jim

• Lan_UK
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the response. The plant is not in direct sun. It is currently on a south facing window.
    I have tried sniffing the plants in the morning and evening - still no fragrant. It is very strange.

Lan

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    18 years ago

Unfortunately, there are many white-flowered Bouvardia hybrids that look very similar to B. longiflora which have no fragrance at all. It is possible that you have one of these.

• ankraras
    18 years ago

.....that sweet smell.......The Pink and Red Flowers do not have any fragrance either.

• Lan_UK
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Today is the first time I actually smelt the fragrant - a very light sweet fragrant. Can't complain, quiet happy there was a little fragrant then none.
    :)

• warpweft
    17 years ago

I got my Bouvardia Longiflora several weeks ago from Logees and now as the days have grown shorter it went into bloom. I brought it into my house now and it is on a semi-shaded east facing window sill with grow lights on a timer -on for 14 hours. It seems to be continuing its blooming and is totally fragrance free all day. BUT at night- it is amazing how much fragrance is produced once the lights go out. I can sit up to two yards away and be very aware of the heady, sweet perfume. The one thing I do note is that the leaves dry and shrivel starting from the base going up and fall off-even during the growing season outside. This tends to make the plant rather leggy. I plan to cut it back after it finishes this flowering cycle. I love these flowers-very exotic. I think I'll also take a few insurance cuttings as well. Happy gardening!-Susan

• Lan_UK
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Susan,

I am glad your plant has flowered and released such strong scent - there is still more hope for me. My plant has not bloom anymore.
    My plant has also gone very leggy. So I am wondering, have you started taking cutting. I am not sure whether to take cuttings now or wait till spring.

• davegtiuk
    17 years ago

Lan,
    I have one which is fragrant.
    I'll try to root a cutting for you
    David

• Lan_UK
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you David.
    I hope your cutting will root.
    :)