Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fenius

blooming in march!

fenius
11 years ago

Is it possible that noone has started this thread yet???
here goes then..

thanks for the suggestion kemistry!the daphne bloomed after all and it smells great! My bf said the scent reminds him of a particular drugstore that sells perfumes!

Comments (67)

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Great pictures everyone.

Mike.. love that Oleander's picture. How does it smell like? I know I known.. scent description is so subjective but come on, tell us why it smells awesome so we have even more reasons to go gaga over it. Lol. : )

Sugi .. Congrats on getting your gardenia to bloom. It's pretty. I bet it smells even better than its look : )

Lol Robert don't laugh. Im not fond of the scent of Heliotrope.. i thought it smells like an artificial vanilla scent.. similar to Miss Kim lilac and i'm not fond of that scent either.. but seeing how yours is such a cute little plant I want one too. =P

ROSEY .. I LOVE the scent of Freesia too. If spring has a scent, it probably smells of Freesia. My local nursery has this beautiful primrose that smells just like a freesia.. I"m tempted to get it but alas no more space.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Kemistry, it's hard to eplain..It's a very intense sweet yet light armomatic fragrance, not like anything else I've smelled and yet so appealing to everyone that has smelled it! Everyone wants here around here..lol
    It's stingy on flowers because it's winter, but boy does it go hog wild in summer!

Robert????? How in the world do you keep Heliotrope looking nice beyond a month?
    Mine always get brown leaf edges that ruin the whole leaf with time, like what Botrytis does to many plants.
    What kind of light and care do they need?I love them!

• roseyd
    11 years ago

I recognize the winter jasmine, one of your logees finds from the weekend. You are so lucky to have so many plants in bloom right now. I keep waiting for those 3 new plants to blossom, but so far its buds only. I have one gardenia blossom only... I wait and wait... And wait some more. A good practice of patience.

Lilacs.. where? That should happen soon. Love lilacs, ... If the snow ever finishes to melt, spring will truly arrive.

I cry over my rose bushes and all the work to replace them. I'm pretty sure that I lost 2 of them. Both were new plantings from last summer. But the changes to the garden will be drastic, my honeysuckle will find a space to climb up the porch railing. And I'm considering to put the mandavilla out there too, in order to make room for larger pots in my Windows.

I'm also hoping to plant tuberroses this year. Spring, its not long now before well all be outside with dirt up to our elbows. :)

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Kemistry, if you discover the name of the primrose - could you tell me? ... I'd love one something smelling like freesia in my apartment (and primroses seem to come in small packages.) :)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Ugh. Came home and noticed my largest plumie bud aborted. :(
    I gently unfurled the petals and left them out over night and snapped this pic this morn.
    Has a slight sweet scent.
    Guess trying to coax winter inflos on new plumies is harder than it looks. Laugh.
    It's supposed to be 83 today so it shouldn't be too long before I can start dragging all the plants out! :)

-Robert

• roseyd
    11 years ago

How sad! And we'Ve been waiting with you. But if she's going outside soon.. can't believe you have 83 temps and we re back in another cold spell with a threat of more snow hanging over our heads... She's sure to fill with blossoms with temps like that

Anyone feeling Irish this weekend? Struck with the urge to suuround yourselves in green? I hope you'll all stay safe, happy st. Paddys!

11 years ago

Thanks, Rosey. It's happened with some of my other young plumerias outside last summer. Think it's just a thing with some of them. :)
    We're also getting a cold front. Sunday's high is 49 and Monday night's low is 33 so it's the usual drag 'em out and bring 'em back in routine. ;)

So will you be watching any parades? Dressing up in green?

-Robert

• roseyd
    11 years ago

I guess I should be glad that I haven't taken the plumie plunge yet, it was difficult losing the t cactus blooms when I rotated the pot. I'm still monitoring my 3 hesitant logee plants, buds not blooms. Why it have to take so long?

I wore green yesterday at work, and no one else did. You'd think Boston I would be surrounded by green, but Cambridge, st Paddys seemed to not be on the radar yet. Monday will be another green blouse. This is one holiday I take serious, at least as far as fashion goes.

Show the Irish some love, its fun. Go Irish!

To cold to be out parading. But I may make corn beef n cabbage. A not Irish dish, that's been attributed to the day for some strange reason.

• beetle_2007
    11 years ago

Love everyones pics :) So encouraging to see blooms in the dead of winter. [yes I know its March, but we are having major snow and below -15 temps right now!

I have a few prettys in bloom, some scented :)

This is Little Sun ,Golden Boy, not scented, but a little cutie :)

The Miltonia on the left, scents up the room, and the Gardenia as well [more subtly thoug.

Dend. Love Memory "Fizz" is another real sweet smelling chid

Yay! we can now edit posts, so I'm sneaking in an up close of the milt :)

This post was edited by beetle_2007 on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 13:17

11 years ago

Beetle,

Your orchid pictures are gorgeous! Thank you for sharing them with us. I particularly love the Miltonia. I hope to one day smell one myself. :)

-Robert

• beetle_2007
    11 years ago

Your very welcome, and Thanks so much :)
    The stores in Edmonton, are starting to have a few more varietys of orchid, [as well as your Phalaenopsis] :) I got this beautiful milt at a Safeway:)

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Beetle! Wowwoow..You caught my eyes and heart with them beauties. I LOVE orchids and I think you know that.

Do you grow them in your home? If so, BRAVO!
    What a great job you have been doing. You must love the smells.

Hello Robert:-) Dang I hate that when the flowers abort! I hated it so much, I got rid of most of mine. I couldn't take the torture anymore. I love your plants!
    Sorry you lost it Robert. Hopefully, the others will reward you now that the nicer weather is coming.
    We are expecting yet ANOTHER snowstorm. Not sure if I can take anymore.

Mike

• beetle_2007
    11 years ago

Beetle! Wowwoow..You caught my eyes and heart with them beauties. I LOVE orchids and I think you know that.

Do you grow them in your home? If so, BRAVO!
    What a great job you have been doing. You must love the smells.

Thanks so much Mike! :)
    Yes they are grown in the home, some on a southern windowsill, and some under lights:) And yes, the scents are what keeps me cheery throu this seemingly endless winter . I know others are experiencing the same dreary conditions, so I won't whine too much LOL .

• fragrant2008
    11 years ago

Flowering here in the uk for March

one of my winter favs always flowers no matter what the weather throws at it and has such a wonderful fragrance
    Prunus mume

{{gwi:787712}}
    Then there is of course Lonicera Fragrantissima i find this has a really strong scent for such small flowers

Cycamen fragrant

brunfelsia

Miltoniopsis 'cella'

Vanda chocolate fragrance

Blc ta-hisin wonderful large fragrant flowers

Oncidum samurai

Phalaenposis 'sogo relex'

Hoya lacunosa gives off a strong evening fragrance for me

and then a few of the none fragrant ones ;)

hope that is not to many photos :)

11 years ago

Fragrant,

We can never have too many pics on this forum!

Thank you for sharing your beauties with us.
    You've got quite the collection of orchids!
    It's funny that you brought up your prunus. I was just sniffing a native plum to Oklahoma yesterday while walking the dog - Prunus mexicana (Mexican Plum).
    It smelled wonderful and I was wondering to myself what is the best smelling plum? :)
    Do you know which variety of brunfelsia you have? Could it be Brunfelsia americana?

-Robert

• roseyd
    11 years ago

I think I have orchid envy, Fragrant! How beautiful!

• fenius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wow, what a collection of photos to return to after a hectic day (week rather)!! thanks guys, I hope to have smth to add soon.. I also hate the new photobucket, instead of making it easier it is more time consuming now...
    I didn't know there were fragrant oleanders or plums, thank you for that! (not!)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hello Everyone!!

Love all of the pic.. Beautiful..

Kem.. Thank you!! You are always so kind. I can't wait to share my Plumies with you all this season!!! I love these beauties!!! Thanks for your confidence!! ;-)

Robert... Sorry to see the blooms abort. Makes me sad to see. It is so frustrating to wait and then they just fall. My Taj Mahal seems to be one that aborts early for me. I have also heard from others that theirs drop as well. Hmmm...

Mike. We need to get you back on the Plumies.. Wait until you see the new Mini Adenium that i have in a Bonsai container. It is beautiful. I also have started collecting hard to find Arabicums and crosses too! So.. I will have plenty of DR pics for you. The big "boys" are doing well. They are all starting to leaf out and are ready to be raised and have more of the caudex exposed. Im actually looking forward to doing this!!

As far as my Sweet Baby Orchid.. i just have it planted in the gritty Mix and give it Foliage Pro everytime i water.. diluted of course. This one loves the sunshine and the blooms have lasted several weeks and they still look like they will hold on for a while..

Hope all is well with the weather.. You all have had ENOUGH!!! '-)

Fenius... I agree, i never knew there were fragrant Oleanders.. I would love to grow them here in VB. Would they still be as hardy as the ones that i have planted in the ground. Would they be able to handle zone 8?

This is news to me.. I need fragrant ones by the pool!!!

Awesome!!!

Take care,

Laura

• fragrant2008
    11 years ago

Mexican Plum i do not know that one! been searching on google and my old friend ebay , i am sure i can fit one more fragrant plant in somewhere especially if it is flowering now when it is so cold outside and not much else is in flower. Robert it is brunfelsia calycina i also have Brunfelsia Lactea but they are all seedling that germinated last year.

"I think I have orchid envy" well roseyd i have location envy :P you get such a wide range of plants over there in the usa that we just dont get here :( plus your electricity bills are a lot cheaper :)

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Yes, I am happy to say I agree about the electricity bills. I normally don't even look at mine. I have it so that it's directly pulled from my account. Well, a few weeks ago, I actually opened the envelope to see what the 18 hour grow lights were doing to my account. I was happily surprised that my bill was only $21. Thank goodness for energy efficient appliances and lightbulbs, right?

I doubt there are many who keep there electric bill as low as mine. The benefit of living alone - is I can shut of lights when I'm not using the rooms. And, I swear I must do most of my living from those plant lights? why put on an overhead if there's a plant lamp making a room bright enough?

But, I have to remember - that this is winter, when electric bills are low for me... come summer, in my hot attic appartment - well, my bill will triple just so that I can sleep at night.

location. Yes, it's all about location. If only you had access to our logees. :)

ps: my African Gardenia is really close to blossoming. There's 5 buds - they've all turned a lovely peach/white shade, and they're already starting to exude a LOVELY scent... but, day 3 and still no sign of opening petals.

This post was edited by roseyd on Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 15:36

• roseyd
    11 years ago

and! mY oSMANthus Fragrans! is blooming!! just a few small ones - but what a beautiful scent!

I'm so happy it's spring! It can only get better from here!

Happy Friday, folks, and an even happier weekend! :)

• roseyd
    11 years ago

how about this delicate charmer? :)

• kandhi
    11 years ago

These are currently blooming in my sunroom
    Michelia skinneriana - it perfumes my sunroom around 2 -6pm

Gardenia - fully budded

• kandhi
    11 years ago

red ixora - blooms stay on plant for months

• kandhi
    11 years ago

brunfelsia

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Wow those pictures are amazing. Thanks for posting everyone!

And kandhi your Michelia skinneriana is so pretty!!! : )

• dl99
    11 years ago

Every spring is the only spring - a perpetual astonishment.

Mali Pikul - light jasmine fragrance with hint of camphor?

{{gwi:787745}}

Jasmine Arabian Knights - Same Jasmine fragrance with pretty and abundant blooms
    {{gwi:787748}}
    Stephanotis in bud
    {{gwi:787751}}

Buds on my tiny Grad duke jasmine
    {{gwi:787754}}

Bud on Mysore Mulli
    {{gwi:787758}}

Thanks.

This post was edited by dl99 on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 21:38

• fenius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, I love your posts this month!!
    here are my latest:
    holboellia coriacea filled with insignificant but very fragrant bells!

the first lily of the valley!

my last year's stolen cutting from kew smells like honey, I think it is choisya ternata

classic stephanotis

sedirea japonica

and lastly scilla bifolia rosea which I'm not sure is fragrant ...maybe really faintly

• dl99
    11 years ago

Lovely photos everyone.

Fenius you keep posting such lovely photos & I am sure everyone is tempted

Now I have daphne, Brassavola on my list. Mike, I have been reading your posts on Brassavola. Some compare it to Chanel 5?

Kandhi- Michaelia in a pot! It must be fragrant paradise.

Laura ,beetle - Gorgeous orchids , they bring so much cheer to me.

Robert - Too bad that the plumeria aborted its bud. Are your plants outside? you mentioned 85 F which makes me so sad, it is stlll 40- 50F here.

Kemisty I had freesia but could never appreciate the fragrance. Of course nothing beats tuberose ,do you have any tips for freesia?

• kemistry
    11 years ago

dl99 .. amazing sambac!! Mali Pikul smells very sweet, just wait til it blooms during your warmer days! It has that typical sambac scent like all the other sambac but a bit of a 'sourer' note to it, sort of like the sourness of lavender. Or maybe my nose is just weird. Lol.

Feesia corms are so cheap so I just grow them as an annual. Tossed them out when they are done blooming. They smell very sweet to me. Like primroses. A bit of Osmanthus too. I read that the species freesia alba is more fragrant and has a spicy scent? I havent grown it yet. Robert got me interested in it again recently. Maybe next year! : )

Rosey.. I'll stop by the nursery this weekend to find the name of that primose for you ..if they still have it. But I find that most primose smell like freesia anyway. Just get the most fragrant ones you can find! They sure do look cute. And compact. And cheerful. :)

Fenius.. omg.. tell me more about that holboellia coriacea & sedirea japonica plants. Very fragrant? Nice scent? How do they smell like. : )

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Okay I'm sold on the Holboellia. Lol. I need to find one.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/gardening1/tag/holboelllia-coriacea-cathedral-gem/

• fragrant2008
    11 years ago

holboellia coriacea whey another fragrant plant we can actually get here in the uk! :) There are two types holboellia coriacea and Holboellia latifolia the second one seems to be the more fragrant
    http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/holboellia-latifolia
    has any one grown both plants

11 years ago

Argh! You people are killing me!
    Now I want both holboellia! Laugh.

Fenius,

I was growing my plumeria inside under lights. We only had one day of 83 and then it got cold. Like real cold. One morning it was 23!
    Anyway I shoved the plumie down in the basement with the others. If the inflo doesn't drop maybe I'll actually get some blooms when things warm up and everything is brought outside. :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: New holboellia introductions

• roseyd
    11 years ago

I'm looking forward to planting soon.

My newest houseplant addictions are: Besides Jasmines/Gardenias...

Cape Primroses (I now have 4 - only one which I've seen flowers on, yet)

Desert Roses (Now up to 2 - and am tempted to keep going...)

Orchids (I am now up to 5? - only 2 are fragrant - and neither of those have I seen blooms yet). I think I may have pestered Mike into giving me a 6th baby when I talked to him last. He was telling about how great one of his smelled and I suggested that if his pot was becoming over-full, I could take on a baby very happily... ((I'm very helpful that way. :) ))

Anyway - only blooming occuring indoors still - are the sweet olive. I thought those jasmines I bought would have opened this month - but they're a tease.

• dl99
    11 years ago

Kemistry you have a gift! No one can match your description of a fragrance.
    Yes I detect a sour note in Mali pikul but the pretty blossoms make up for it.

I have been reading up about Freesia, do you think it is the right time to plant in Zone 4, many said they should be planted in late summer/fall?

You learn something new. Holbelia coriacea is mesmerizing,with jasmine like fragrance and abundant flowers, it is a dream.Forest farm & logees have holboellia coriacea but I have to convince myself that they are not plants for pots or in Zone 4 and stop myself from thinking about it.

I am done withTelosma cordata, it was a difficult plant in the winter and eventually passed away.

Robert ,MIke, I hope your telosma plants are doing well.

11 years ago

dl99,

Whoops! I just realized it was you and not fenius that asked about my plumie. Sorry!

Thanks for asking about my Telosma cordata. So sorry you lost yours. :(
    I have mine growing in an extremely fast draining mix consisting of screened pine bark fines and perlite (no peat). I might be over watering a bit since I just noticed some new leaves are yellowish when I snapped this pic for you (it's in the light colored pot on the corner).

I too am a sambac freak. My fav is Belle of India but I also love my Grand Duke and Mysore Mulli. I just repotted my Mysore Mulli into the 5:1:1 mix and in a larger pot. Can't wait to bring it out when the weather warms and inhale the glorious scent of jasmine! :)

-Robert

• fenius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey robert! What is the purple flower on the left?
    ok now I want to find more holboellias,too...the cultivar cathedral bells is much more showy than mine!! not to mention stauntonias which is what I was initially looking for and eventually settled for holboellia coriacea.. where in the uk can I find H. latifolia fragrant2008??? I wander if they ship to greece?
    Oh, I grow mine in a planter with other acid loving plants by the way! I was scared of the honeysuckle but they seem to coexist happily so far..
    Kem and dl99 holboellia is not heavy like jasmine, it is finer & more clean and crisp but not lemony either, it is rather wonderful and I find it hard to think of similar smelling plants..
    Sedirea japonica most say is citrusy but it reminds me more of roses I think..
    Happy posting everyone; we want more blooms, only a couple of days left!!
    oh, and my tiny twig of prunus mahaleb which I thought had not made it through the winter has 3 buds! I don't think it is of the fragrant prunuses though..

11 years ago

fenius,

Stop talking about flowers that smell like roses and what not. You're making us add more and more to our lists! :)

The purple flower on the left is Scabiosa columbaria 'Butterfly Blue' (Pincushion flower). I grow it as a short lived annual for the bees and butterflies since the heat normally does them in here.

I've been thinking of you since my night scented stock (Matthiola longipetala subsp. bicornis) has been blooming its head off and wafting in the evenings. How are your babies coming along?
    You can see mine in the black round pot on the lower left side of the photo.

-Robert

• fenius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes indeed they are!! mine are 5-6 messy seedlings with only a couple of true leaves still, I grow them inside but I'm thinking of moving them outside gradually ..if they only grew a little faster ..how long till yours got like this??

I have sown a lot of blue stuff this year in my planters but I missed scabiosa..I have cornflower and linum though! And my supposedly strictly yellow fresias have rurned out red and orange..really.disappointing!

11 years ago

It's taken months from my August sowing to get this big however they spent most of the winter inside. Hopefully you can bring yours out soon (they are frost tolerant) and be able to enjoy them faster than it took me! ;)

Speaking of freesia have you tried Freesia alba? Kemistry and I were talking about this one the other day. It's supposed to be highly scented.

-Robert

• fenius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll look for it this fall! We've also been talking over at my greek forum about some supposedly old white single freesia that grows wild here and smells fantastic..I'll try and get hold of that too if it isn't actually the same...

• roseyd
    11 years ago

I'm definitely going to have to go bulb shopping. White freesia or yellow freesia's ... both would be a good addition to my flower beds. I wonder if I'd have problems with visitors picking them when I'm not looking? - Just saying - that'd be quite a temptation out in my front yard without a fence.

My tuberoses will be in a pot outside this year. Looking forward to seeing how well they'll do at the bottom of the stairs. Temptations... nothing like temptations at street level. I wish I had a balcony.

• dl99
    11 years ago

Sambac freak, how appropriate for us. Yes Robert,Belle of India is becoming my favorite too, the flowers are so graceful and the smell is intoxicating.

Telosma looks good. I am happy for you Robert. We want pictures when it flowers. I see your Olive is still blooming! It must be heavenly.

Matthiola is a cool season plant? should we sow in Fall to bloom in spring? I am too tired to overwinter another plant.

Went on a freesia hunt & came home with this. I appreciate any input on this plant.
    {{gwi:787778}}

This post was edited by dl99 on Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 19:11

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Haha dl99! I too went on a plant search today (holboellia) and came home with a totally different plant. Lol.

My local nursery has Holbelia coriacea..the regular white type and i thought its scent is nice.. a clean, sweet and creamy fragrance. But they have blooming akebia shirobana nearby...and this akebia impresses me with its awesome cinnamon fragrance. But I ended up going home with a blooming gardenia kleim's hardy (and a stevia plant) because I really miss the smell of gardenia. : )

Oh Roseyd, the primrose I mentioned above is called primula x tommasinii 'you and me cream' : )

Oh Robert..forgot to say.. your telosma is really looking awesome! Mine is a bit tragic looking. I find that telosma really hates the cold temp and its leaves getting wet. Mine dropped most of its leaves. But it's finally starting to grow again so that's a good sign.

I'm soo interested in the Sedirea japonica orchid now, Fenius..!!

And here it is.. my new baby:

This post was edited by kemistry on Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 20:58

11 years ago

Evening pic for fenius!

dl99,

I say sow them indoors now and bring them out when temps start rising. You should have blooms this year!
    At first I wasn't that impressed with night scented stock's wafting ability but now that I have more blooms I'm loving it more and more. :)

Kemistry,

Yet another gardenia? Laugh.
    There's no hope for you but it must smell awesome if it ended up coming home with you. ;)

-Robert

• fragrant2008
    11 years ago

Hi fenius , you can buy H. latifolia at
    http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/ its one of the best plant nurseries here in the uk but there prices can be a little higher and yes they do ship to European Countries :)
    kemistry nice kleim's hardy i to have one of these bought it 3 years ago i find it a lot more easier to grow then other gardenia (i loooove Gardenia fragrance) all the best with your little beauty

• dl99
    11 years ago

Kemistry ,Robert, I was minding my business when my friend pointed me to this package which mentioned that this Daffodil is " exquisitely fragrant"! I couldn't resist.
    Anyone have any experience with it. It doesn't need to be chilled so can be planted in early spring to bloom in summer. Reviews on Daves garden have been positive/neutral. Its botanical name is Narcissus âÂÂErlicheerâÂÂ.
    I hope it is different than regular paperwhites. I remember Robert grew a chinese variety this season with delightful fragrance.

I grow Gardenias as annuals, they are a pain plus I have to be picky on what I want to overwinter.I lost telosma, aglaia, G.vietnamensis this past winter. I remember when Fenius posted about G.Vietnamensis, it was easy to grow then other gardenias but I could never appreciate a heady gardenia fragrance from them. It was very subtle.But what a lovely pinwheel!
    {{gwi:787781}}
    {{gwi:787783}}

• fenius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What a lovely picture Robert, you have spring on a table!
    Frag2008, thanks for the link, I find I need at least 5 plants from them (till now!)..they are pricey though..
    Dl99 I'm so sorry for your losses..unless a miracle happens soon, I'm close to losing my tiny aglaia too plus my cananga odorata that keeps dropping leaves.. I don't understand what's wrong w/ them...

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Fragrant2008.. Thanks!! And yes agreed! The hardy gardenia are so much easier to please than those regular ones. I have a Frostproof that has taken some abuses the last 3 years --spidermites, bad root pruning, overwatering, etc.. but it doesn't complain much and at the moment it's full of buds! Can hardly wait for those buds to mature! :)

Robert.. only 2 blooms but it's so fragrant especially at night. WHy haven't you got a gardenia yet??? :0)

Dl99.. I haven't smelled Erlicheer yet but some narcissus do have a nice scent. Keep us updated on yours!
    My G vietnamensis did bloom last Fall and the scent was very mild too but I'm sure it was because of the cold temp. The scent will be stronger in Spring/Summer. It has a few buds on it right now so I'll update when it blooms. I find this plant more vigorous and much easier to grow than most gardenia. Have you tried the hardy type of gardenia? There are a few of them out there.

Fenius.. regarding the Cananga, maybe too cold? It really hates the cold temp. My dwarf cananga lost all it leaves during the Winter. I thought I would lose it but I do see a couple of new growth emerging so there's still hope for my plant.

And finally here's my Meyer's Lemon .. This is the one plant that I ignore for most of the time but it doesn't care.
    It's been blooming the last 2 months or so. It doesn't get much sunlight so it has only a few flowers but the flowers are huge with a very strong scent. Awesome citrus scent too.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Hey all!

Here's Michelia 'Jack Fogg' and Narcissus 'Golden Dawn'. Golden Dawn has some notes of cedar which I find interesting.