Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musaboru

Jasminum polyanthum has no fragrance?

Dar Sunset Zone 18
15 years ago

I dont get it, why cant I smell anything from them? At first I thought that Ive always encountered non-fragrant clones. But lately, Ive been going to different garden centers with displays loaded with the blooming plants and I never can detect any fragrance directly from the flowers. Is it just me?

musa...

Comments (8)

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

Just a thought, but have you asked others if they can smell the plants? Have you had sinus infections lately?

• jimshy
    15 years ago

Fragrances are complex, and so are noses. Sometimes a plant in a store, especially indoors, doesn't have the scent that it would outdoors, but j. polyanthum is usually really strong . . . it could be a genetic thing; my mother-in-law can't smell osmanthus at all, even up close.

Keep sniffing and maybe you'll find one that's got it for you!

Jim

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I am sorta too shy to ask, especially since they might think I am a freak for asking such a question. LOL. These plants are in the outdoor section of the stores.

I was at the gardencenter again earlier this evening. They usually have all sorts of scents wafting you know.... The only plant in this corner that is suppose to be fragrant is the jasmine polyanthum, but I cannot smell anything directly coming from it when I go up close it. And I recognize this scent in the air cos I have smelled it before in various gardencenters, but I would never have attributed it to the j. polyanthums because I thought it was the scent of manure in combination with other plants (like marigolds or whatever). It is something akin to paperwhites which I consider somewhat foul smelling.

Can I ask you guys what does this jasmine smell like to you personally?

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Both paperwhites and J. polyanthum smell fantastic to me. The jasmine has a more delicate scent. I sold both when I was a florist and there were always some customers who complained about them.

• jimshy
    15 years ago

Well, um, gosh, I don't want to offend anyone but . . .

I've never liked the scent of polyanthum. There, I said it! I find it cloying and overpowering at short distance, and not any better further away. There is a compound in jasmine flowers called indole that is also present in certain, uh, fecal substances as well. In tiny amounts, it somehow adds to the allure of the fragrance, but, at least with polyanthum, ends up smelling too rotten for me to enjoy. So it's not surprising, musaboru, that you smelled something "off" in the polyanthums. I think paperwhites have a similar scent profile, though I don't know if they produce indole as well.

Everyone's nose is different, though, so perhaps the other species will work out better for you!

Jim

• ANNAMARIA VECCHIO
    15 years ago

buyorsell888-- I will never complain-- I LOVE jasmines, I can always smell a j.polyanthum from feet apart, I finally had to get one at Home Depot ! How soon should I re-pot it? It has been a week, does it need a lot of water? I'm in the San Francisco Mid-Peninsula where we don't have a "steady" summer. I'd appreciate your help.

Annamaria

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

In a pot it needs quite a bit of water. They do not necessarily make the best houseplants, they get very large.

I believe they are fine as outdoor plants in your area. They are borderline here and I have lost the one I planted outside but we are colder than you are...

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL Jim. I guess that answers my questions. Thanks. So it is that paperwhite smell that they produce. Ugh.

I totally prefer Confederate Jasmines over these. In fact I really love Confederate Jasmines a lot, because I can smell them anytime of the day even when there is very low humidity (unlike the Jasmine sambac I have). And it gets even better on a hot and humid night.