Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shic_2006

where to buy Gardenia 'First Love' with better price?

shic_2006
18 years ago

Gardenia "First Love" is not an ever bloomer. However, this Japanese originated breed has very large, fully double flower (like a white rose). I checked wayside garden, the price is a little too high. Does anyone know any place that I can buy these with better price?

Comments (17)

• kasiec
    18 years ago

Hi schic - First Love or Aimee gardenia is as you described...white rose. The bloom on this is sparse (for me), but the size of each bloom makes up for it. I found mine at our local nursery for 8.99 in one gallon pots. Later, Home Depot had theirs for $4.69 per gallon size. I hope you'll find your source for this wonderful gardenia.

Kasie

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

California is a very different place. Our local HD never has anything interesting. 1 gallon hooked jasmine costs 14.99 each. Even begonias are 8.99 each! Local WM had some gardenia with 2-3 inch flowers.

• kasiec
    18 years ago

Different indeed. A grower's paradise.

Kasie

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kasie, does the following image look like this cultivar?
    {{gwi:787939}}

• kasiec
    18 years ago

Hi Shic - I can not differentiate between First Love and my Mystery Gardenias. The tags tell me what they are. Both has the large almost 4 to 5 inch bloom. I use fish emulsion when I water...most heavily in the summer.

Kasie

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kasie,

Do you have both cultivars in your yard? I suspect these two cultivars are related. There is another one called Miami Supreme. I guess the differences come down to details such as the center height of newly fully opened flower, and the total petal count.

• kasiec
    18 years ago

Hi Shic - I planted three Aimee/First Love in the ground last summer. The gophers got two and the single remaining plant is still alive. My G.Mystery is in a pot and something is chewing up the leaves. Maybe it's the same bug that is chewing up my Brugmansia leaves? I'm good at watering but not with spraying insecticide stuff.

Kasie

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kasie,

You murdered two Aimees ... Oh - My - God ...

Some bees cut leaves for their home. They are flying thieves, you have to catch them. Spraying is useless since they do not stay around.

• kasiec
    18 years ago

LOL...I know Shic...I'm a plant murderess. It just gives me good excuse to buy more. I hope my hubby is not reading this.

Kasie

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kasee, then, I guess, this "gardenia" is for you:
    {{gwi:787940}}

(check out carnivorous plant forum)

• kasiec
    18 years ago

Hi Shic - what is that? If it's succulent, I'm not good with caring for them. I recently bought 2 Flap Jack plants and the leaves are shriveling up...not dead...still alive though.

Kasie

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

These are monster buttercup. These graceful "gardenia" flowers love to annihilate small beings. The carnivorous plants require: high humidity, low/zero fertilizer, small low-fat food, and rain/snow/distilled watering.

• kasiec
    18 years ago

I love gardenias, but I'll have to pass on this one.

Kasie

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    18 years ago

The plants in the above photo are Mexican butterworts (in this case, either Pinguicula esseriana or P. ehlersiae), not monster buttercups! :-) They do quite well in normal household conditions and do not need high humidity. They respond well to mild fertilization and can often adapt to tap water as long as it is not treated city water. Certainly nothing difficult about them. Though they do not have the lovely fragrance of a gardenia, they do help control fungus gnat populations indoors.

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I find these buttercups interesting. However, I heard some species are delicate.

• alex41491_aim_com
    16 years ago

Butter worts(or Pincuigula) are very easy as ispahan has said. they can be true gems and come in so many varieties and colors! here are few of mine that i no longer have... :(
    P. jaumavensis

and P. agnata

carnivorous plants are just a great category of plants. they are always showy, unlike orchids. and plus. they eat! :)
    D. capensis(cape sundew)

Alex

• regency898_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I bought mine at a sale at Armstrong gardening. It is grafted, so the root system is stronger. San Gabriel gardening center in San Gabreil, CA also has some from $10.