Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to buy Gardenia 'First Love' with better price?

Posted by shic_2006 4a 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 1, 06 at 19:54

Gardenia "First Love" is not an ever bloomer. However, this Japanese originated breed has very large, fully double flower (like a white rose). I checked wayside garden, the price is a little too high. Does anyone know any place that I can buy these with better price?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to buy Gardenia 'First Love' with better price?

Hi schic - First Love or Aimee gardenia is as you described...white rose. The bloom on this is sparse (for me), but the size of each bloom makes up for it. I found mine at our local nursery for 8.99 in one gallon pots. Later, Home Depot had theirs for $4.69 per gallon size. I hope you'll find your source for this wonderful gardenia.

Kasie

o

California is a very different place. Our local HD never has anything interesting. 1 gallon hooked jasmine costs 14.99 each. Even begonias are 8.99 each! Local WM had some gardenia with 2-3 inch flowers.

o

Different indeed. A grower's paradise.

Kasie

o

Kasie, does the following image look like this cultivar?

o

Hi Shic - I can not differentiate between First Love and my Mystery Gardenias. The tags tell me what they are. Both has the large almost 4 to 5 inch bloom. I use fish emulsion when I water...most heavily in the summer.

Kasie

o

Kasie,

Do you have both cultivars in your yard? I suspect these two cultivars are related. There is another one called Miami Supreme. I guess the differences come down to details such as the center height of newly fully opened flower, and the total petal count.

o

Hi Shic - I planted three Aimee/First Love in the ground last summer. The gophers got two and the single remaining plant is still alive. My G.Mystery is in a pot and something is chewing up the leaves. Maybe it's the same bug that is chewing up my Brugmansia leaves? I'm good at watering but not with spraying insecticide stuff.

Kasie

o

Kasie,

You murdered two Aimees ... Oh - My - God ...

Some bees cut leaves for their home. They are flying thieves, you have to catch them. Spraying is useless since they do not stay around.

o

LOL...I know Shic...I'm a plant murderess. It just gives me good excuse to buy more. I hope my hubby is not reading this.

Kasie

o

Kasee, then, I guess, this "gardenia" is for you:

(check out carnivorous plant forum)

o

Hi Shic - what is that? If it's succulent, I'm not good with caring for them. I recently bought 2 Flap Jack plants and the leaves are shriveling up...not dead...still alive though.

Kasie

o

These are monster buttercup. These graceful "gardenia" flowers love to annihilate small beings. The carnivorous plants require: high humidity, low/zero fertilizer, small low-fat food, and rain/snow/distilled watering.

o

I love gardenias, but I'll have to pass on this one.

Kasie

o

The plants in the above photo are Mexican butterworts (in this case, either Pinguicula esseriana or P. ehlersiae), not monster buttercups! :-) They do quite well in normal household conditions and do not need high humidity. They respond well to mild fertilization and can often adapt to tap water as long as it is not treated city water. Certainly nothing difficult about them. Though they do not have the lovely fragrance of a gardenia, they do help control fungus gnat populations indoors.

o

I find these buttercups interesting. However, I heard some species are delicate.

o

Butter worts(or Pincuigula) are very easy as ispahan has said. they can be true gems and come in so many varieties and colors! here are few of mine that i no longer have... :(
P. jaumavensis
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
and P. agnata

carnivorous plants are just a great category of plants. they are always showy, unlike orchids. and plus. they eat! :)
D. capensis(cape sundew)

Alex

o

I bought mine at a sale at Armstrong gardening. It is grafted, so the root system is stronger. San Gabriel gardening center in San Gabreil, CA also has some from $10.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here