Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calathea: a fragrant houseplant for low light

Posted by musaboru 10a (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 20:31

I would like to thank Daxin for mentioning this plant in an old post on fragrant houseplants. I went out and bought this plant back in late January with no idea on how long I will have to wait for it to bloom. Well, I was pleasantly surprised today to see this one flower. And judging by the number of sheaths there, it may produce at least 2 dozen more flowers like this in the upcoming weeks.

As for the scent, it reminds me very much of 'Singapore' plumeria with that light citrus/lemony fragrance. Again, it's not very strong, but very pleasant.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calathea: a fragrant houseplant for low light

Very nice!

o

How do you grow this plant musaboru? Does it receive any direct sunlight?

A house plant that I'd like to recommend is the common Corn Plant (Dracaena). It has a very impressive scent when it blooms. Super fragrant; smells like greentea+jasmine :o)

o

Kemistry,
I grow this with no direct sunlight at all in my bedroom (the only window is north-facing). And it's too far away from any artificial lighting to receive any benefit from that. Just keep it well watered on the moist side, but not soggy. If allowed to dry completely some of the leaves may start to turn brown. I water it like once or twice a week dependingly. It's pretty easy to care for; not much fuss.

I've been wanting to get a corn plant as well, but they're
just too gigantic for my room hehe.

I figure the species I have is C. concinna, but Daxin mentions it wasn't concinna he got but a similar-looking species, so perhaps that might be more fragrant than C. concinna.

The bad thing is the flowers only last a day. Good thing is they bloom in sucession. After this one died, 3 more flowers popped out of the bracts and I can see more coming.

Stoke's Tropicals sells a variety of Calathea with pink bracts held up high that is noted to be fragrant. The flowers are actually white though.

o

Thanks musaboru! I will keep an eye out for the Calathea. I've got plenty of spots near my south facing windows that don't get direct sunlight. Yay..!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here