Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is fon shan ha?

Posted by fenius 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 21:03

I found a site with just this name under a picture of a fragrant plant with tiny white flowers with 4 petals united in two opposite pairs..Has anybody heard of it or knows the latin name maybe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is fon shan ha?

Can you post the link the the picture please?

o

Yes, sorry, should have thought of it!
http://www.siamadenium.com/Other Plants/Aromatic plants/

o

From what I can find, this plant goes by several names in Thai depending on the region, with "Fon Saen Ha" being the Central Thai name for it.

The Latin name is Myxopyrum smilacifolium.

This plant is native to Southern Asia/Southeast Asia and is in the olive family (Oleaceae). It is a woody vine and one of the Thai names for it alludes to this (Thao Wan Pling, wan/valya means woody vine). It also seems to be used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat migraines.

o

Thanks Musaboru!
I thought of the flowers reminding remotely of oleaceae but then stuck & spent at least one hour in vain search! And to think I have migraines too, often from spending too much time online!I already love this forum..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here