Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicaldcguy

Any other jasmine fans?

tropicaldcguy
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

Anyone else out there have a major thing for jasmine? Of all the fragrant plants that I love -- and there are a lot of them -- jasmine is my favorite. I first fell in love with it (confederate jasmine) a few years ago in Rome. There were walls covvered several stories high filled with it. The smell was incredible.

I particularly like grand duke of tuscany, for some reason. It's easy to grow, the flowers are meaty and beautiful, and the fragrance is heady and sweet.

I'm surprised there isn't a jasmine forum on here.

Comments (10)

• jimshy
    16 years ago

Sign me up!

I love 'em all, the 'true' jasmines and many of the other plants called jasmines -- in fact, I'm writing a book about them and their history of cultivation, so anybody who's got any sources; people, books or other texts, let me know!

My Maid of Orleans, after hibernating like Sleeping Beauty all winter, has finally started putting up buds again.

Mmmm, jasmine.

Jim

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

I'm a huge jamine fan as well! I've only had my parent plant for about 3 years, but last fall, i took this sweet little cutting and its blooming as we speak. here is Moo [Maid of Orleans] I want loads more cuttings, as I promised my one daughter this one :)

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

My favorite is Maid of Orleans..Wouldn't mind having one in every room...
    Night Blooming Jasmine,(don't know if it's a true Jasmine) but it's flowers are so pretty..I can't recall if they're fragrant or not..Toni
    PS..is Night Blooming Jasmine the same as what they call, Angelwing Jasmine?

• tropicaldcguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jim,

I'd like to hear more about your book. It sounds great.

Beetle,

Great pic. Makes me want to stick my nose right into the picture.

Hopeful,

I just started looking at some of the pics of your plants. Oh man... that's an incredible collection. How do you keep all those things alive in the house, especially in the winter? Your house must have a ton of windows.

Patrick

• jeelli
    16 years ago

Hi TropicalDcGuy!
    I love Jasmine, and I have quite a collection- Nitidum, MOO, Belle of India, Revolutum Humile, and Flore Pena. I love them all! So much easier to grow, and definitely worth the effort!!!

• quinnfyre
    16 years ago

Of course! I've got Maid of Orleans, Grand Duke of Tuscany, and officinale. I've managed to get Maid of Orleans to bloom during the winter for me in the past, but that was under lights, CFL 100 watt equivalent (can't remember the actual wattage), lights on pretty much 24-7. Not what I wanted to do, but I didn't have a timer and my schedule was too erratic for me to turn the lights off and on. Bloomed well actually, but I had major mite problems, and after moving they all succumbed. I've got a new batch now, and Maid of Orleans and Grand Duke of Tuscany bloomed at first, but haven't much since. I think I need better lights, as I'm only using a 75 watt equivalent right now. Haven't seen officinale bloom yet, and it may not this year again, as I'm not sure I gave it enough of a cold spell, but we'll see. I'm tempted to get more, to put outside for the season, so I can keep my desktop ones to keep things cheery (and fragrant!) My favorite fragrant plants, definitely, particularly because they put out so much growth, so even when not flowering, they are rewarding.

• ankraras
    15 years ago

Another Jasmine hobbyist grower here. For me, I especially appreciate Rex and Sambac. There are a few Sambac varieties that I would really really like to add to my collection.

{{gwi:7760}}

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

I like Jasmine, I have small tree, bloomed in January for me, but now way too hot for them to bloom I guess, its 90 degrees today! I was told by someone on this forum that its "Murraya Paniculata" Lakeview Jasmine? Smelled good when it was blooming.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:788488}}

• louis_c
    15 years ago

I love Jasmine sambac. But cheap source of it(in store) are no where to be found. I don't understand why Gardenias(i loves it) are everywhere but Jasmine only sell in farmer's market for $25.

• mare2
    15 years ago

My old M. of O. got so huge, I couldnÂt fit it through the door anymore, so last year I finally replaced it with a smaller one. It defoliated so many times over winter that I wouldÂve thought it had died if I hadnÂt seen it do its Lazarus act so many times, but I sure do miss those hundreds of bloomsÂespecially in late winter. There is just something about watching a blizzard in all its silent frenzy while inhaling that heavenly jasmine scent that makes you not so sorry to live up North....