Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evening primrose plants

Posted by daesaflgatorfan z8 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 08 at 22:33

Growing up, every summer my granny's yard would be taken over by hundreds of evening primrose plants. I'm not talking of the ground hugging ones, but the ones that grow several feet tall. We would sit on her porch every evening, and just drink in the heady smell.

I can't find these anywhere! I was given 2 last summer, 1 bloomed, with no scent. There haven't been any evening primroses blooming in granny's yard for decades now, or I'd rob some from her. Can anyone help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evening primrose plants

I know, they have the most wonderful scent! I see them blooming around here sometimes but they are off our property, usually in the ditches. I keep meaning to get some seeds, because I have read that their tuber is very good to eat as a wild food. You might want to post your 'wanted' on the seed exchange forum here. Horizonherbs.com might also sell them, I seem to recall seeing them for sale when I was looking through their catalog.

o

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 12, 08 at 12:23

There are a number of native plant nurseries that specialize in perennials and should have fragrant cultivars; oenothera is the genus name.

I grow o. speciosa, which has beautiful pink flowers but only a slight scent.

Jim

o

Thanx, y'all. I'll check it out ASAP. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some growing this year!

o

Where and when do seeds from Evening Primrose develop? I found EP at the grocery store, sitting in what I call, the dead cart..think it was .50..Planted, and it pops up every yr..(Now it won't watch..LOL)
Do seeds fall off the plant? If someone tells me when/how it's done, after mine flowers I'll keep an eye out for seed..if anything I can mail for postage..Flowers are yellow, they dote on cool temps..after a few weeks of cool to cold temps, and soil dries, flowers really pop out..Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here