Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoebe368

Allspice Michelia

phoebe368
10 years ago

Does anyone own an Allspice Michelia (Michelia x foggii 'Allspice'). I was wondering what the fragrance smells like. It's a cross between Michelia doltsopa and Michelia figo. I saw it for sale on the Monrovia nursery website. It seems quite intriguing given its parentage and would be perfect for pot culture since it is a slow growing, small magnolia.

By the way, if anyone lives in the LA/OC area I did some nursery hopping yesterday and bought a 4 foot cinnamon tree (cinnamon zelaynicum) from Champa nursery in El Monte for only $35 and also picked up a 3 foot Michelia Champaca from Mimosa nursery in East LA for only $15. Both nurseries had a bunch of these items in stock.

Comments (17)

• phoebe368
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fires_in_motion on Dave's Garden said this about it (there were only 2 posts, this was the only one that mentioned fragrance):

"The flowers are touted by many, including perfume makers/enthusiasts, as having the greatest scent of any flower on earth, and I can say that I agree. Smelling one literally sends a euphoric sensation through the whole body in a matter of nanoseconds. The scent is similar to that of Osmanthus fragrans (Sweet Olive), but even more intoxicating and overwhelming. If heroin is half as nice as the smell of this tree's flowers, then I'll have to try it someday. "

Dang! now I really want it!! I think I'll head over to my local Armstrong's to see if they can order it for me!

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Phoebe,

To me this tree smells like over ripened bananas with a touch of nail polish remover. Not a fan so I did not buy it. I have the Sweet Olive tree and to me they do not remotely smell the same. Sweet Olive is very subtle, soft and soothing where as Allspice Michelia is very harsh and in your face.

If you're not sure just wait for it to bloom before buying. Its not difficult to find so if you should be able to find this plant at most nurseries.

Good night.
    Lynn

• phoebe368
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think you are referring to "Michelia Figo" - banana shrub. This is Michelia x foggii - the "x" means a hybrid. From the Monrovia website:

"The x foggii hybrids are derived from crossing species: M. Figo of western China with M. champaca of northern India and the Himalayas. Allspice is among the most contempary of the Fogg hybrids."

I guess I was wrong earlier, it is not a cross between M. Figo and M. Doltsopa.

By the way, was at Upland Nursery today and took another whiff of the M. Figo "Port Wine" - it still smells like nail polish remover to me too! Also, Green Mart has some really cute aglaia odoratas in that are pruned to look little round trees. They're really big and are a bargain at $30 for the size.

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

I do not have Allspice but Lynn is right about MICHELIA x foggii 'Jack Fogg' which i do have and its like a poorer version of figo to me
    But would be interesting to see what ppl think of Allspce

• kemistry
    10 years ago

Why do I feel like I need to have this 'Allspice' plant? Lol. I'm one of those that like the smell of Figo.. I find the scent quite addicting. Nail polish removal and banana..yum! hehee :))

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    8 years ago

Hi Phoebe, I was wondering if you ever got the Allspice? Would love to hear what you think of it, if so.

I was at Armstrong for some therapeutic plant collecting last week and picked up M. doltsopa 'Silver Cloud'. The flowers are said to have a spicy/sweet scent which I suppose may be a similar scent that Allspice inherited. One website mentions it blooms in Calif. from Jan to Mar and then on and off again in summer. I am stoked for this one.

• phoebe368
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I didn't get the Allspice. Still intrigued by it, though. I am honestly running out of space. I've been collecting various tropical michelias so far I have michelia coco, michelia figo, michelia champaca (white), michelia champaca (yellow), and magnolia lillifera. They've almost doubled in size since I got them about 2 years ago. They really like my climate (I am near Disneyland in Anaheim.) Good luck on your "Silver Cloud" Please let us know what it smells like!!

• kasiec
    8 years ago

Hi Phoebe - where did you get the Michaelia Champaca (yellow)? Looking forward to your response.

~Kasie

• phoebe368
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I ordered mine from Monrovia at my local Armstrong Garden center in Anaheim. Here is the website just put www in front (i don't know if links are OK here). It took a long time to arrive about 4-5 months but it was well worth it. The plant is huge like 6 feet but it hasn't bloomed yet. I heard the yellow variety has to be at least 8 years old before it starts blooming.

monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/1850/fragrant-himalayan-champaca/

• phoebe368
    Original Author
    8 years ago

it took 4 to 5 months because i ordered it in the winter and they don't ship out anything til spring so you may have more luck than me

• kasiec
    8 years ago

Thank you so much for the info Phoebe.

~Kasie

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    8 years ago

Thanks Phoebe! I can't wait to share the scent description also. Looks like me and you both share the same love for michelias too. :)

Kasie, if you give your local Armstrong a call, they should be able to look into their system to see if they have any in stock in that particular location you call or other ones. I know the one in Claremont has some right now for about $70 for a 5gal.

• kasiec
    8 years ago

Thank you for the info Dar. Did you see more than 1 at the Claremont Armstrong? Also, I was wondering how your Plumeria Musk Rainbow is doing? I love, love, love this one and did a search on the Plumeria forum and saw your name come up that is local. Again, thanks for the info on Michelia Champaka.

~Kasie

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    8 years ago

There was like 3 of them all the way in the back/left corner of the nursery. They had other magnolias too. There was a soulangeana hybrid with lightly scented summer flowers, was very tempting to get it. LOL.

Musk Rainbow got knocked down during severe winds last December and, well, got ran over (pic below). And there was two inflos starting to form. But it has recovered beautifully with lots of tips. Should throw out a lot of inflos next spring or later this year if lucky.

Keep in mind, it does well in So Cal even into mid-January then lose it's leaves until March/April.

• kasiec
    8 years ago

Yikes! Ouch! Poor thing. I'm glad it recovered for you. Is it grafted or rooted cutting? Where did you purchase that one? I tried to get one last year from Island Plumeria, but they did not have any more. This year I contacted them but received no response. So I am on a waiting list with B&B Exotics in Florida. Thanks Dar.

~Kasie

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    8 years ago

Kasie -- I ordered it from Florida Colors and it came grafted. Good luck on getting one!

• nothing fail
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

So has anyone figured out what the Allspice Michelia smells like and if the scent is caught in the air !!! ??? Would it survive in a USDA cold hardiness zone 7b with hot dry summers !?