Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrant_grower

Gardenia leaves turning yellow

fragrant_grower
18 years ago

Hi,

I had bought this gardenia ( i think augusta beauty) last fall and it did pretty good throughout the winter. had a lot of green leaves and was about to start forming buds. During January/fed time frame, I put the plant in ground and gave a support of a tomato cage as it was drifting due to wind. now, there are hundreds of buds on the plant but the leaves are turning yellow.

i have stopped watering the plant. i did put some slow release fertilizer of azeleas. what do i need to do here? your advice will really help.

i will try to post a picture as well.

thx

Comments (16)

• shic_2006
    18 years ago

That happens sometimes, check out mine:
    {{gwi:788819}}

• fragrant_grower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Shic, those are beautiful. Its been a while i had seen gardenia bloom like that :(. mine has a lot of buds but right when i feel they will bloom, it falls off. so far happened w 3 buds. i am waiting to see these bloom.

Blutayle, thank you. i will (pretend to) neglect this bush for a while but today it looked even sad than before. i will keep an eye and picture will be posted soon.

• shic_2006
    18 years ago

I want to see the potted gardenia with 10 foot trunk that opens to an 8ft umbrella spread. Pictures please.

There is a way to predict if your gardenia is going to abort a flower. Just check the lightly green slender-body of the bud. If you see a brown line several inches down, the flower bud is likely to be aborted. Gardenia holds flower buds for a long time. As insurance to your buds, you can simply keep the temperature cool and water with rain or melted snow. Also, the more benevolent sunshine, the more flower buds.

• skippy05
    18 years ago

That is sooo beautiful, I can almost smell it!
    Nothing smells like a gardenia!

• shic_2006
    18 years ago

I have more:

{{gwi:81681}}
    {{gwi:81684}}

• shic_2006
    18 years ago

{{gwi:73410}}
    {{gwi:73409}}

• blutayle
    17 years ago

I guess I am lucky enough to have moved to Florida where these grow like azaleas back up North. I remember living in New York and around Mother's Day the little 6in potted gardenias came out in the nurseries. I would always rush out and get one and bring it home, coddle it, over-feed, over-water, stare at it until every bud fell off, and every leaf with either spider mites, white flys, or a sudden draft. When I got to Florida, I had such a bad taste due to growing conditions up North never quite making a gardenia happy. Finally, I got brave and started collecting different shapes and sizes, small and tall. They have survived three tropical storms, January cold blasts, wind, rain, hail. I ignore them and throw a little Miracid every now and then. This is my absolute favorite time of year. I start watching the buds in January and there are so many the plant inevitably drops many as it can't hold all, not enough energy. Every room has them floating in water, most bigger than my hand. I wish just for this short time of year everyone could experience this, but then again, I have no peonies down here. My ONLY regret....

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

That is so awesome! Are the first two pictures depicting the gardenia plant with 10 foot trunk that opens to an 8ft umbrella spread in your backyard? Is it an Aimee grafted on South African gardenia root? How many years does it take to achieve that? I hope you can supply a clearer picture.

I think the commercial growers are also selecting those tougher plants to mass reproduce. For example, I remember my first Fuchsia 5 years ago died in the summer outdoors.

I purchased a "similar" one from WM last week. I keep it indoors and it grows just fine. I think those have toughened up by selective breeding.

Your image reminds me of Dove tree. Is Dove tree feasible in your zone?

• blutayle
    17 years ago

Hi Shic,
    Yes, the first two pics are of the tree. The others are just overgrown bushes. The tree I bought at about the same height, had it for about 7 yrs. The trunk has gotten thicker on the graft and of course the grafted plant on top has spread. The graft I believe is the tahitian gardenia, I think that is the stock that is used extensively down here to save gardenias from nematodes. The plant on top is I believe Miami Supreme or August Beauty. I have searched for years and only ran across this specimen once so I grabbed it. It ran me about 250 bucks. I have since learned of a nursery in South Florida that grows plenty of these but it is wholesale and alot of nurseries up here in the Clearwater area won't go for ordering any. Unfortunately I took these with my pic phone so really dont have a digital camera to do it justice. The Dove tree is beautiful, I will have to research to see if I can find it. I am in Zone 9 so I don't know if it will grow here but I know I have never run across it before.

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

Congratulations to your wonderful garden!

Based on the web site of the University of Florida, the rootstocks are usually thunbergia. Quote: "Cultivars of Gardenia jasminoides grown in Florida can be propagated by cuttings or grafting. Plant production for north Florida should be restricted to "own root" because plants grafted on Gardenia thunbergia rootstock are not hardy in outdoor planting areas at temperatures below 28°F. Gardenias produced for south Florida should be grafted, because plants grafted onto Gardenia thunbergia are superior to "own root" ones."

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

fragrant_grower, how is your plant now?

• joalem
    17 years ago

I live in VA, and purchased a couple of Gardenias at Walmart (tiny guys, I think I paid $1 each). I planted them outside and 4 years later they are 6 feet tall and bloom about 4 times a year. They look like they need a trim, but I am not sure what to do, as most of the care tips are for indoor/potted Gardenias....mine also have "yellow spot"...any suggestions? Should I trim them after the first bloom period (early June)?

• jeff_al
    17 years ago

yes, prune them after flowering. also, if you want more plants, the stems that you remove should root easily in moist potting medium in a shaded area.
    not sure what the "yellow spot" might be unless it is the result of insect damage. maybe use an insecticide if you see indications of this activity.

• suellenb
    13 years ago

i have a Augusta Gardenia I bought a few months ago we planted it outside had to move it as we didn't realize the size it grows to! and now I have yellow leaves with brown spots and the Flowers (white) are turning brown a few days after they blossom! Is this normal for them to turn Brown a few days after blossoming? and what can I do about the yellow leaves with brown spots?

• dcrews21
    7 years ago

I have about 20 gardenias, 3 different types. I grew up with my mom also having gardenias. When the leaves turn yellow, there is not enough acid in the soil. Gardenias love acid soil just like azaleas and hollies. I put out aluminum sulfate for mine (according to directions). This works every time for me.