Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erict_gw

Walmart Gardenias

erict
16 years ago

So the local "super" Walmart has a live plant section, and I noticed they recently quadrupled their stock, most likely to due spring and the return of rain (FINALLY).

What really struck me from a distance was a plant with familiar-looking leaves. (Gets closer). GARDENIA!

They're even in bloom! (Smells Gardenia).

Uh oh. They're not that fragrant. Smells like peaches....not that good. (Cries).

Perhaps people overstate the fragrance? Or am I being short-changed by a big-box store?

Well, the good news: After being infested with spideymites, my own gardenia is healthy and growing again - fast.

Comments (4)

• jeff_al
    16 years ago

never heard of a gardenia that was not fragrant.
    possibly the same scenario as with other warm-season fragrant plants in which the scent is less noticeable on cool, moist days.
    those were obviously grown in a warmer zone or forced into bloom as it is still early in the season for them to flower in the southeast (if they are grown outdoors).
    it is always pretty warm in my area in late may when they begin to bloom and that legendary, potent fragrance pervades the areas.
    just a thought....

• mbuckmaster
    16 years ago

I bought a few dwarf gardenia from my local Wal-Mart, and they weren't as fragrant as my big guy. Plus, they all died over the winter (well, my dog dug one up, so maybe it would have lived). Usually my plants from Wal-Mart do fine (found a 6' bloodgood JM last year for $17!), but these did not, and the fragrance wasn't as strong as the bigger varieties.

Peaches?....huh.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Eric, I don't understand..the so-called labeled Gardenia turned out being a peach tree? Is that what u said???
    OMG, you have to be kidding..(Am I reading your post correctly?)
    Some ppl don't smell, lol, as well as others..A friend of mine can't detect any fragrance/odor whatsoever. I on the other hand pick up fire well before fire trucks are heard. My sniffer works fine...but there are people who really cannot detect fragrances..the longer I've been online, talking to different people, I found there are a good number who can't smell the strongest of flowers.
    I kill smaller gardenia bushes opposed to 3'+ trees for some reason..I went ahead and bought a variegated Gardenia from Almost Eden which arrived yesterday, hope this one lives..It's beautiful, nicely variegated..wish me luck.
    Some of Walmarts plants do well..last year, they had variety after variety of succulents..becauase they were shipped that day, I went on a buying spree..lol..1.25 each for nice-sized sux..very healthy, insect free..
    Last Sat we stopped at Walmart..all they had were over-wintered palms, sad-looking, Hyacinths, and tulips.
    But I have to say, I've found decent and inexpensive plants there..for instance, they had bonsai Ficus, w/huge trunks, for 9,99..followed me home..HD had the same Ficus in bonsai container for 19,99..trees were bare, what few leaves remained were brown.
    If you're quick, catch plants as soon as shipment arrives..In fall, Walmarts sells really nice Bougainvillas..One fall, I'd just missed the sale, they went for 5.00..each boug stood 4', attached to a pole, and in bloom..
    It's been years since our Walmart carried Gardenia or Jasmine, or maybe I'm missing sales..If they had an inexpensive denia or jasmine, it'd end up in our cart..They also sell quite a bromiliad collection, including A. fasciata..
    I'd like to visit Ikea..they have decent plants, fragrant, too..We haven't a Lowes around, so never been to one. But I've heard they have really nice plants.
    Living in Il, we don't get half the plants sold in warmer climates..Citrus are almost impossible locating..one local nursery sells citrus, starting at 79.99, that's for a small tree..HD sells Calamondin every so often, 29,99...way too much for a Calamondin. You guys in warmer states are so lucky..
    I noticed Exotic Angel Plants sold at HD, ships more to states other than Illinois. Toni

• ankraras
    16 years ago

When I was at the home improvement store with hubby a few weeks ago I said to myself I am going to buy one that already has flowers! They had abundant gardenia that looked like they just got them in and they were looking perky but they were all 'Veitchii'. Can you believe it; I passed.

{{gwi:68416}}