Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone grown these? How do you think they would do in part shade?

Posted by flowersandthings MidAtlantic 6/7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 4, 05 at 2:50

Hi I have so much shady room but want so many and massive amoutns of fragrants perhaps if I put some fragrants on the shady border in part shade.... dappled sunglight? from tall trees? these would grow.... I was wondering how these would do....
mathiola bicornis
reseda odorata
nicotiana alata
acidanthera
tuberose
peruvian daffodil hymenocallis?
heliotrope
jasminum grandiflora
pansies ?
midnight candy z something capensis
Thanks.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone grown these? How do you think they would do in part sh

• Posted by JimShy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 4, 05 at 9:58

Here's how to read the truth behind the seed package labels and nursery descriptions:

Full sun -- Don't bother unless you have unobstructed southern exposure from horizon to horizon or you have enough HID lights to illuminate a small city.

Sun to part shade -- these really like full sun, but you just may see a couple of blooms if you don't put it in full sun conditions (see above), if it's a good year, El Nino conditions are favorable, and you get lucky. Real lucky.

Part shade: this is what everybody north of the Mason-Dixon line actually has, even when it's sunny, compared to all those sun-drenched industrial nurseries in Homestead, Fl, where the plants actually come from. Expect plants to look a lot less vibrant than they do in the pictures.

Full shade: this means under a light tree canopy, not your linen closet.

And now for the real advice: your best bets are probably the nicotiana, peruvian daylilly, and pansies, I think -- many of the rest really need a lot of sun to look and smell their best.

Jim

o

if i plant anything but roses and tomatoes in full sun down here, they usually fry by mid-summer! *lol*
i do grow n. alata(white form) and hymenocalis in part sun and they flower beautifully. these plants are sited under juniper canopy and get direct morning sun only (maybe 3-4 hours), then dappled shade the rest of the day.
n. alata has a very potent fragrance - overwhelming to some folks who encounter my planting. i like it, though; the stronger, the better.
they are perennial here.
i have never detected any fragrance from a pansy. are yours fragrant? you can't beat 'em for duration of flower-power.

o

Flowers are you planning on planting these plants in or outdoors? Toni

o

How about some fragrant rhododendrons/azaleas such as arborescens etc? They like shade and are quite fragrant, same goes for hostas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here