Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magnolia ernestii (Michelia wilsonii)

Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 22, 05 at 3:30

A friend's Bellevue, WA (Zone 8) specimen is having its second year of bloom, after growing like a weed for some years. The yellowness of them is interesting, plus they look back at you. Their aroma isn't much, a rather typical fruity/fermentation smell.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magnolia ernestii (Michelia wilsonii)

They don't seem very hardy according to Dave's Garden. M. skinneriana is rated to 0 degrees F. Does anyone grow it? How fragrant is it?

o

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 25, 05 at 0:33

I think these Piroche introductions are too new to know if they will survive a 30 year winter, unless they actually started importing some of them before 1990. Meanwhile, I wouldn't be expecting 0 degrees F. in the more heavily populated PNW lowlands (where most people live and garden) anytime soon.

o

It only went to 6 degrees F to kill my 10' Eucalyptus gunnii that was supposed to be hardy to 0 degrees F, because it dropped to 6* 3 days after the first frost. So conditions like those can be very hard on plants. Or very low temps after they have already started growing in spring.

I'm just wondering if the hardier Michelia is worth growing for fragrance.

o

Fri, Apr 29, 05 at 0:35

Gums grown here vary in hardiness from one seedling to the next. Probably few, if any eucalyptus species can be assigned a single minimum temperature. The bamboo Chusquea culeou has been said to vary in hardiness from 0 to 20 degrees F.

The minimum temperature for a plant need only be reached for a short time for it to freeze off.

o
RE: Magnolia (Michelia) Floral Aromas

Fri, Apr 29, 05 at 0:38

Haven't tried one yet that was dynamite, myself. Maybe only the tender ones have memorable fragrances. Fairly hardy M. figo seems to be a favorite, however. Also seems to vary, from what I have seen posted on this site.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here