Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will my gardenias recover?

Posted by modlins5 z6 OK (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 4, 06 at 8:52

I think I made a big boo-boo! Last year we bought two lovely gardenia bushes. We planted them in pretty pots in the front yard. They did ok, except the buds kept falling off just before they would bloom. Only a small few actually bloomed. This past fall, I was afraid to leave them out for the winter because we had planted one in the ground the year before, and it didn't make it. So, I repotted them and brought them in. The leaves all fell off, but a couple of months ago, they started getting new leaves. This week, I moved them back outside and fed them. The leaves were only on the tops of the branches for the most part. Now, some of them are turning yellow. They look so sad. Did I ruin them? Should I have just let them over-winter outside? Will they recover??

~Carrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will my gardenias recover?

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 5, 06 at 15:21

Gardenias will drop leaves if they experience a shock, which moving from inside to outside usually is, particularly if the night temps are colder than what they were used to.

Don't panic! As long as the roots are healthy, they should continue making new leaves. Just don't overwater them while they don't have leaves, keep the soil evenly moist, and DON'T fertilize any more -- gardenias don't like heavy fertilizing unless they're large and well-established, and more fert right now will only shock them more.

BTW, no gardenia will survive a z6 winter in a pot, so you did the right thing to bring them in for the winter.

Good luck!

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here