Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cesturnum nocturnum and jasmine sambac

Posted by Sanchi z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 05 at 8:53

Hi Folks,
I bought the cesturnum N. and Jasmine Sambac few years ago, they are doing pretty well. But my Cesturnum N. has lots of dried / brown stems, is it okay to cut them? Also I got excited about Spring and kept them out in my patio few days ago, and some of leaves look welted.
Jasmine also grows in all directions, how to keep their shape good and have tons of flowers from them?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cesturnum nocturnum and jasmine sambac

• Posted by JimShy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 14, 05 at 10:17

Carefull putting these out too soon -- cold conditions can harm the leaves, and cold, wet nights can cause roots to rot.

Cut off any dead stems and leaves, and look for new growth -- that's where these species make their flowers.

J. sambac is, honestly, not a plant that anyone would grow for the handsome outline -- it's not really a climber, it just puts out shoots all over, even when you cut it back to try to get it to grow a particular direction. Get a couple of stakes or a trelis and tie up the stems while they're still green and flexible, but don't prune too much or you'll lose the flowers from those stems. Enjoy the fragrance!

Jim

o
RE: Cesturnum nocturnum and jasmine sambac

Sanchi, Jim is right. Cut them back to good, healthy growth. When the Cestrum Nocturnum have flowered, don't be afraid to cut them down severely. You'll be amazed at the bushiness that results from a good whacking down! They love warm soil, so keep them out of the cold if you can.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here