Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Miami Supreme My Very First Blooms

puglvr1
16 years ago

Hi,

Just wanted to say "thanks" to all that gave advise and tips on how to take care of this very temperamental,picky,pain in the *** Gardenia Plant. But it finally paid off. I have two blooms opened up today and several buds yet to open.

After miracid, bloom plus, spraying for aphids, etc...it finally rewarded me with some very fragrant flowers.

Thanks again,its worth all the work. Anyone who has had bad luck with this plant try, try again, If I can do it,anyone can...

{{gwi:789478}}

{{gwi:789480}}

Comments (12)

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

OH puglvr, she is GORGEOUS!! I'll bet the blooms smell heavenly!! Congrats on true success!!

• snasxs
    16 years ago

Beautiful!

• jimshy
    16 years ago

Mmmmm, lovely!!

Jim

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for the kind words!! Yes it does smell wonderful...

• mersiepoo
    16 years ago

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! Gorgeous!! That is a huge bloom too! :D

I'm so happy for you!

If you want a laugh, check out my gardenia, it's the latest post in 'downfall of my gardenia'. It's the antithesis of your awesome plant, hee hee!

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Oh Pug, your Gardenia is beautiful..Congrats on the blooms. Looking at its flowers, I detect 'denie scent..
    The flowers look large, are they? So far your tree hasn't any yellow leaves..yellowing sometimes occurs when Gardenias flower, (with mine anyway) which IMO means, the soil is lacking a nutrient, or needs additional since it's focusing on flowers.
    I adore its shape, too..Tree-like.
    You guys are sooo lucky living in warm climates..How tall do gardenias get? Can you imagine a 15' tree with fragrant blooms? I wonder if they get that big...
    Seems Miracid did a wonderful job..Is Blooms Plus a different fertilizer or part of Miracid? Lovely, Toni

• jeff_al
    16 years ago

those flowers are beautiful. i should have blooms by memorial day.
    with regards to height, i have seen some about 10' high. a house that i rented when i first moved here had 2 old plants flanking the front door that tall. talk about a fragrant entry! they probably get taller than that in their native range.
    my 'mystery' plant is as tall as i am at 6'.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Mersiepoo, I LOVE reading your posts...you are sooo funny, you have me in stitches. I look forward to your posts and heading over there now to read the latest!

Toni, thanks for the nice compliment, appreciate it a lot.
    I do have the occasional yellow leaves, on this particular tree, I have been lucky. I also have one (same variety) in a clay pot(also full of buds) although none have opened yet. That one has more issues with yellow leaves for some reason. I also have a dwarf gardenia radicans(potted also), no blooms yet.

Yes Bloom plus is different than the miracid, I alternate them, every 2 weeks. I have done this since I've had the plants almost 4 months ago. It seemed to have worked.

I took a picture of the size of the flower, it's pretty large especially since the tree itself is only 24" tall.My label says its suppose to get 8ft x 6ft wide. I doubt mine will get that big, the area I have it in is not quite that big, I will be trimming it down when it gets bigger.

I put the link to the Schultz bloom plus that I use,on the bottom of the picture. I really like this product. I also use it on my bougainevillea and has really improved my flowers.

{{gwi:789482}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Schultz Bloom Plus

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jeff,

Congrats on your new buds!! 6ft, WOW!! Would love to smell that when its in bloom. Post some pictures, we would love to see a huge, gorgeous plant like that. Mine has quite a ways to go to get anywhere near that size. I will probably never get it that big, no room...

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Pug, duh, I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote about the fertilizers..
    I just threw out 2 containers of Bloom Plus and 1 container of Miracid..The reason is, age..they were 4+ years old..I posted a thread on the other forum, asking if anyone knew if fertlizer spoiled. It seems, it may lose strength, which I feared, so why waste time fertilizing if it's not going to the job..I got the fertlizers super cheap..who knows how long they sat on the nursery shelf..probably long enough they considered them expired, but no date is written on the outter box or the inside bag.
    Ace Hardware sells Bloom Plus and Miracid, but I bought a few bxoes of fert last wk..All purpose for green plants, flowering, (not Shultz) and one other I can't recall this minute..LOl. Oh I remember, a slow-release acidic fert.
    I usually use slow-release as a first and last feeding. But you've given me ideas feeding gardenias by alternating foods.
    The flower on your 'denia is good-sized..so pretty and fresh-looking..Congrats again, Toni

• littlem_2007
    16 years ago

hello, Puglvr, congrats on your success. your plant looks very healthy. you have done a great job.

sue

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Sue,

Thanks so much for the compliment. You, among several others gave me some great advise. I wouldn't have had success if it wasn't for the great people on this forum.

Thanks again...