Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

tuberose, how long to come up?

irun5k
11 years ago

Hi all,

It has been at least a couple weeks since I put some tuberose bulbs into the ground, and I've yet to see any sign of them breaking ground.

Now I am second guessing myself, did I do something silly and put them upside down? I know which way they go, but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

When is it time to go digging? This spring in FL has been unusually cool especially given the warm winter. We haven't broken 80 too many days. Perhaps that is a factor?

Thanks,
Brian

Comments (18)

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Talking tuberose bulbs and pots - so, I ordered 3 double bulbs - when should I put them in a pot? and what size pot and should they all be in the same pot together? or should they have different pots to keep their roots seperate? :)

I gather I should be putting them in dirt soon if I'll have any hope of seeing blooms before august, right?

• irun5k
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Devi,

If I recall, I ordered the doubles. I ordered them from Burpee and was pretty surprised at how large they were. Each "bulb" was actually a huge cluster.

How long does it take yours to show visible green sprouts after putting them in the ground?

Thank you
    Brian

• dl99
    11 years ago

Hello rosey,
    you are in zone 6, so it must be 50 outside? You can pot them up and leave them in a warm place. If it is 60 +, you can leave them outside. They will multiply , as Brian mentioned, small clumps of bulbs. I plant them in planters that are similar to window boxes, so they stay there for 2-3 yrs. if they are rootbound, they will decrease flowering.

yes about July, Aug they will bloom.

Brian , I see shoots in about 2-3 weeks, once it starts, it is pretty quick, in about 2 months, it will flower. The single is more fragrant and reliable than the double.

Hope this helps, Good luck.

• irun5k
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I returned from a trip this week to find that a couple of the bulbs have finally broken ground! Took longer than I thought but then again this spring has been a lot cooler than usual here in FL.

The real heat that gets the tropicals going was late to arrive... but I should be happy about the electric bill I suppose :)

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Ok, hello everyone and I too have jumped on the ban wagon!lol

What I would like to know is how you over winter them that can guarantee they come back again the following spring?

Does one wait until the frost kills the top growth and then store the bulbs an easy way?
    Would you just leave them in the pot and water as usual when the soil dries out even though they die back?
    Do you let the bulbs and mix go completely dry until it's time for them to be taken outside again in spring?
    Does one wash all the mix off in the fall and then store the bulbs in a bag and then repot in spring again?

Sorry for so many questions:-)

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Ok, hello everyone and I too have jumped on the ban wagon!lol

What I would like to know is how you over winter them that can guarantee they come back again the following spring?

Does one wait until the frost kills the top growth and then store the bulbs an easy way?
    Would you just leave them in the pot and water as usual when the soil dries out even though they die back?
    Do you let the bulbs and mix go completely dry until it's time for them to be taken outside again in spring?
    Does one wash all the mix off in the fall and then store the bulbs in a bag and then repot in spring again?

Sorry for so many questions:-)

Mike

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Mike.... Has somebody broken into your GW account again ?

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Mike, if you keep them in pots, you don't have to take the bulbs out to clean them. I think you just need to put them into a cooler dark room and let them hibernate.

For putting them in ground - since they're zoned 10? ... when you see them starting to die back, don't let them sit through the frost in ground. trim the leaves off and bring them indoors (cool and dark) - easy, right? :)

Wes! Buddy! it's been a LONG time since I've seen you around here! Are your succulents keeping you so busy you forgot our smelly forum? :)

Mike, I forgot to write down the name of that mulch product you showed me yesterday - could you take a pic of the bag and txt me it? I'm wondering if I can find it around this way so I don't have to ransack you of all your supplies.

I still haven't put my tuberoses in pots. I'm a bit space deprived right now, I think I suffer from eye 'want' syndrome - the eye sees and wants something - so I buy it; then find I don't know where to put them.

My bulb died in my 2 foot fixture this morning and I couldn't find the replacement on amazon. I'm worried about my table full of orchids/gardenias/jasmines not getting their supplimental lighting while I'm searching the replacement bulb.

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Good guess Rosey LOL nope the succulents aren't the culprit of tying up my time. It was just the honey-bell, thing looked totally exhausted although the oranges where yummy. Will just have to watch the canopy come back for now

• irun5k
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know everyone was losing sleep over this, so let your mind be trouble no longer... all my bulbs have broke ground and are accounted for :)

It took much longer than I expected. Not sure if this is normal or not. But they look good now and I have some pretty big clumps of green sprouts. Looking forward to seeing/smelling what happens...

• roseyd
    11 years ago

irun,

so how long did it take? I just put my bulbs in dirt this past saturday, and I have them under growlights - but, I'm wondering how many weeks it took before I'll see life.

I saw the first of the shasta seeds sprouting, this morning - so, interesting how the different germination times are for plants. Shasta daisies in less than a week, planted beside heirloom daisies that still show no life. And, that seeds have such a quick germination compared to bulbs. I wonder how long it'll take for the double anemonies to show themselves.

It's a beautiful day, folks. Amazing what sunlight and 70 degrees can do for one's psyche.

• Rabia Qaiser
    8 years ago

I know this is an old blog and some of you nice people may not even be following it. I planted tube rose bulbs in pots 3.5 weeks ago in Richmond, Virginia. It has been warm but with bouts of cold in the 50's.. Haven't seen anything grow which is making me anxious. It just put them in regular potting soil with some organic fertilizer.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    8 years ago

Rabia give more time. I'm in California and the tuberoses here are barely peeking out. Some clumps started to grow a few inches but most are still dormant.

• Rabia Qaiser
    8 years ago

thank you for the response. thats encouraging. its my 1st time with tuberoses. I'm really excited and would be heart broken if they don't sprout,

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    8 years ago

Just make sure the soil drains well or they may rot if the soil stays too soggy for prolonged periods.

• arupa_datta
    7 years ago

Hi dl99,

I am a new dreamer for Tuberose. This is my native flower. Here I am located in Chicago land are which is I believe zone 5/6. My question - suppose I plant the tuberose bulbs in pot. How much deep pot do tuberose need to grow properly? If I leave the pot out side in hard winter season covering it with a green house cover will they be able to survive? how much protection can one green house cover give in hard winter, I have some Hibiscus as well. they are really pretty. I am not sure if they are strong enough to survive in hard winter. I am little bit worried that's why.

could you please give me some suggestion?

• fragrant2008
    7 years ago

Hi Arupa_datta i keep all my Tuberose in pots! some are grouped in big round pots around 6 inch deep or i will have 2 in a 5inch deep square pot! They are kept outside in a frost free greenhouse over winter where they will go dormant! And around the end of Febuary i bring them inside the house on a sunny south facing window! for early warmth to get them going again