Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mirabilis Longiflora tuber = dormant till ??

Posted by Kristi_TX 8b/9a TX (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 24, 05 at 11:06

Should I start to worry? I ordered a fragrant Mirabilis 'longiflora' (four o'clock) from an Ohio nursery about three weeks ago. It came as a dormant tuber in a 4-inch pot. The receipt noted that it it was still dormant. But now, after 3 weeks in warm, humid Houston - the pot shows no signs of life. I am keeping it slightly moist and protected from afternoon sun. Our daytime temps have been in the mid 70's.

When do these things break dormancy?
This is my first time trying the Longiflora variety. I have grown the 4'oclock 'jalapa' type from seed every year and have no trouble with them sprouting back from their tubers each year. They are the easiest plants. As usual, when I heard the 'longiflora' was more fragrant, I just had to get one. Hope it perks up soon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mirabilis Longiflora tuber = dormant till ??

I'm wondering if my M. jalapa tubers, saved from last year potted up in the greenhouse, are likely to put in another appearance. No sign of anything so far.

o

Hi Kristi,
Can you tell me where you purchased Mirabilis Longiflora?
I have been trying to find a place that sells them.
Many thanks,
gardenpaw

o

I got mine from flowerscentgardens. It took a long time to come out of dormancy, but it was really nice when it finally did.

I don't think flowerscentgardens is shipping again until early next spring.
Good luck!

o

The Fragrant Path sells the seeds for Mirabilis longiflora. I do not believe that they have a website, and their catalog costs $2.00 to recieve but, they do carry many seeds for fragrant plants and flowers. Here is their address, if you wish to contact them:

The Fragrant Path
P.O. Box 328
Ft. Calhoun NE 68023

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here