Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musaboru

Bakul Jasmine (Mali Pikul)

Dar Sunset Zone 18
12 years ago

Since around November I started tending my stick of a jasmine with stagnant growth. I was seriously devoted into giving as much tending I can give it. Throughout the Winter, I took it outdoors when it was sunny and brought it back inside every night to grow under T5 fluorescents. Now it has finally bloomed. There was like literally no growth up until last month and I had thought it was going to die before that...

This is quite a gorgeous variety of Jasminum sambac. The flowers are, of course, small like most jasmines but the pointed petals are arranged in a very aesthetically pleasing rosette pattern.

This jasmine is often labeled as Mali Pikul by Thai sellers, but it also goes by the name Mali Tod according to some Thai websites I looked up. Anyways, the word Pikul is the Thai approximization for Bakul, or Mimusops elgengi. I'm sure some of our fellow forum members who grew up in India may be familiar with this flower. The flowers of Mimusops elgengi is said to still retain their fragrance even after they have dried up.

Here's the first day flower.

Comments (8)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us. How does the scent compare to other sambacs or is it too early to tell? I just got a small Mysore Mulli and I'm eager to compare its scent to Belle and Grand Duke when they all bloom this summer. :)

-Robert

• kandhi
    12 years ago

that's so beautiful. I really like the petal structure and its perfect opening. Did you mailorder from Thai source?

• kemistry
    12 years ago

Musaboru did you get that from dhan? Interestingly I think my Mali Pikul from Thailand maybe different from yours. On some days mine smells like a mock orange (philadelphus). How does yours smell like?

• bunti
    12 years ago

wow... it looks so nice. Mine didn't start blooming. I had blooms last year, but i didn't get chance to take pictures. Last month, I have kept my plants outside. Now temparatures came down. I kept all my plants inside. I am not able to take much care about my plants.

musaboru... thanks for posting the photos. Its very nice.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys!

The fragrance is similar to other sambacs for the most part, but has subtle differences. It's difficult to put it into words. At first I thought it had a sharper note than Grand Duke and on the third day the scent is way more mellow. I thought I smelled something like honeysuckle with a hint of gardenia. Well, keep in mind, we've been having rainy weather with day temps. in the 60s, so that could be affecting the scent power.

I have notice that I can't smell anything from my Sheila's Perfume rose on some cool hazy days we get in late spring (May Gray/June Gloom) and this can be be a really fragrant rose when the weather is right. It even earned a medal for it's fragrance.

I did get it from Dhan. Kem, what makes you think yours could be different?

Here's the first blossom on it's third day

This is a newly opened blossom. I guess this plants needs to be more established before all the flowers can be uniform. It may be hard to see, but the first flower opened with a flat face and this one is more cupped.

• kemistry
    12 years ago

If you say yours smell like honeysuckle (sometimes) then maybe my pikul is the same as yours. The blooms on mine don't look as nice or perfect as those pictured on the internet, though. I'll wait until it blooms again to confirm this.

• mrao77
    12 years ago

very pretty! Thanks for sharing pictures.
    I notice the leaves look like Jasmine Mysore mulli..paired and perpendicular. Is the smell stronger than MM?

mrao77

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't have Mysore Mulli, but if I recall correctly, Belle of India had slightly stronger scent. Too bad Belle of India's flowers only last a day before it fades.